Half of the tank is dead...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So sorry for the losses. Wish I could offer some good advice all I can do is offer my sympathy. :) its so frustrating when fish get sick & you can't pinpoint why.

I just found your thread I'm actually going through a similar situation right now. Not trying to hijack this or anything. Fully established 36 bowfront and over the past several weeks I've been finding a dead fish or two every day. Water params perfect and no explanations. It's so frustrating and sad at the same time. I've got quarantine tanks going up right now and will be doing big water changes today. I guess we'll just keep fighting the good fight.

Oh JJ. I feel for you so. I am down to 18 fish from 44 in two days. Including snails. I will be tearing the tanks apart and ordered Paraguard. One friend suggested that it could be a parasite. I haven't really added anything that would have them. Very lost. Hope you find what happened and please share it with me.

Is your tank planted or do you dose any Co2? What kind of substrate do you have, sand, gravel, etc?
The fact hat it seems to be happening overnight could suggest a possible PH swing, but that is usually only associated with planted tanks. The plants take all the oxygen in the water, and the fish basically suffocate to death after the lights go out.
If you have a fine substrate, such as sand, perhaps there are some buildups of gas that are escaping into the tank.
I may just be grasping at straws for you....the only other things I can think of is some sort of contamination, or a quick killing disease.
I am so sorry for your loss, I would be devastated to find my tank desimated like that. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your remaining finned friends. :(

I have a heavily planted tank and yes, use liquid CO2 every other day, as I have for the last 6-7 months. I haven't used it in a few days, and I am still fishing dead ones out, today there were two more. I have gravel, which I have always had. I can't stress enough how much and carefully I take of the two tanks. There are two bubblers on fine bubbles and the a fast moving filter. Thank you for bringing you thoughts to this. I am still ... mystified. My ten is now empty, and I will change the substrate, everything in the filter, except the ceramic rings which will be washed out with WCd water from the 20g because it seems that it has become stable. After I get the 10 stable then I will tear the 20 apart. There are fish missing and I can't find them, so it needs to be cleaned. I am sorry, I am laying my thoughts on you and complaining. Didn't mean to. Thank you for your thoughts and help!

Is your tank planted or do you dose any Co2? What kind of substrate do you have, sand, gravel, etc?
The fact hat it seems to be happening overnight could suggest a possible PH swing, but that is usually only associated with planted tanks. The plants take all the oxygen in the water, and the fish basically suffocate to death after the lights go out.
If you have a fine substrate, such as sand, perhaps there are some buildups of gas that are escaping into the tank.
I may just be grasping at straws for you....the only other things I can think of is some sort of contamination, or a quick killing disease.
I am so sorry for your loss, I would be devastated to find my tank desimated like that. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your remaining finned friends.

Hmmm, I wonder if perhaps there is something going on with your ph. I really don't know that much about it, as I am just starting my first high tech, high light, Co2 tank, but I have read up on it a bit, and it scares me to put my fish in the tank.
Try testing the PH in the evening, right around the time the lights go out, and then test again very first thing in the morning, before the light come on. From what I have read, if the plants take too much of the oxygen supply out of the water column at night, it will cause the PH swing, which could cause death in the fish. If you find the PH is fairly different between the evening and morning tests, you could add an extra airstone in the tank to run overnight and help create extra oxygen.
Again, this is not somehthing I have ever experienced, just something I have read about lately while I am getting my tank started. Maybe someone with more planted tank experience can chime in and be more help.

I am so sorrry for your loss, hopefully things will stablize soon for you so you don't keep loosing your fish.

Being aware of certain circumstances is there away to perform the water changes with some type of bottle water or filtered refrigerator water? I'm sure it's not a disease or PH swings but some sort of contamination of the water source.

Tonight I tore down the 10 gal. tank, even put in new gravel. All plants were rinsed in a water/H2O2 solution. Filter was washed with a old tooth brush. The ceramic rings were rinsed in tank water, and everything else was replaced. Found some red algae on the rim of the tank but I don't know if that hurts anything. Anyone know???

Hi, thomasina how's your 20gallon? Sorry about your losses :( not sure about the algae I've seen that in my tank on one of my plants ended up throwing it out.

I just stumbles upon this thread and wanted to offer my condolences. I'm do saddened by your losses. :,(
I hope you have it figured out soon. Such a nightmare! Best wishes.

Thank you for caring shellyx and Meashkah. As I mentioned, I tore down the whole 10 and replaced everything I could get my hands on! Will let it run for a while and do WC just to make sure all is good. Can't figure out what happened in that one. The 20g had the biggest loss. I did 2 major WC, about 80%, and it really helped, so it had to be something in the water, however I don't know what. Again, thank you.

Hi Thomasina, I just saw this thread, omg!!!! I am so sorry!!!! I've been through losses of my own but nothing of this magnitude! From your last post looks like you're getting things under control. Hang in there! It is the challenges of this hobby that make it so fascinating. Once you overcome your issues you can feel like a real conquerer. The hardest thing is losing stock as we get to know and love each one of them. Then again, we've done our best, gave them best living conditions, best food, TLC... Good life, if only for a while:) the losses as hard as they are drive us to more pursuit of excellence and searching for more answers, and in time make us gain ever higher levels of expertise in this beautiful hobby. Keep your chin up, and take care:)

Back
Top Bottom