Hammer not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I just did a check on line and mg/l basically converts direct to ppm. So your 10 nitrates and 2 phosphates is 10 and 2 ppm. Being as you have coral that isn't happy and what is listed above I say it's time for water changes. 300 calcium is low as is 5 KH, combine that with your nitrates and phosphates and I think we have the answer. Calcium is ideal around 400-450, KH should be 8-12, nitrates and phosphates ideally 0-0. What are you using for salt and what kind of water are you mixing it with?

did a water change on sunday and due again sometime sunday.using sera salt and RO water.the sera salt has more CA in it.have phosguard and carbon in sump.phosphates and nitrates have been 0 for ages, and the calcium was very high for some time.kh and ca go hand in hand have been adding ca and a buffer, not both on one day.but just not getting there. off to bed now (11:45 pm here) will check the replies in am.thanks for the help

only started dosing the last week or so as our weekly water change is not helping to get things back to normal.

Stir up your salt mix and test the water. I'm sure things are fine. A large water change will start getting things back in line. All dosing does is throw things further out of whack 9/10 times.

If things get back on track, hopefully not. Keeping coral is pretty simple. Minimize parameter issues, supply proper flow and lighting. Ro/di water is an amazing help to this process.

just not sure what through their ngs a bit haywire.corals are obviously absorbing the calcium.can I keep the phosguard with carbon in at the bottom to assist with the phosphates? how else do you keep phosphates under control?

ok did water change, parameters now:
PO4 : 0, 25 mg/L
KH: 3ºdKH
NO3: 0mg/L
PH: 9
CA: 300 mg/L

just cannot get the Calcium and KH up, do you still suggest we dont put any buffers in? put 1 teaspoon of seachem reef calcium in when we mixed the salt?

jip we put it in a bucket with a powerhead and wait till its dissolved properly before we add to tank

jip true dont know what would have caused it though. as we did water change the membranes opened very big as if they just absorbed all the new nutrients. I waited about an hour or so before I tested.

sera salt and test kits.went over from red sea salt to sera, much of a muchness red sea just super expensive

If the hammer was in the tank when you were using rscp it may just be a matter of it getting used to the new params. Rscp mixes very high in trace element levels so it may just take a while to adjust to your tanks new levels

negative unfortunately. been using sera for quite some time.have no idea what could be causing the hammer to not do well, and lost the lawnmower and goldenback.really weird . everything else looking good.took this photo today

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140322_225559.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140322_225559.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 57
what all do you want we only have 5 tests nitrate phosphate kh calcium ph, let me know what else I would need to test for and I will get the test.

Back
Top Bottom