Hang on back filter vs. protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viper23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I'm new to the hobby and have just built a FOWLR tank. My tank is a 75g setup with a fluval 305 canister filter, uv sterilizer, 55lb lr (more coming), 1 power head & a emperor 400 hob. I was wondering if a nice protein skimmer would be better to run then the emperor? All levels are great except trates are always between 40 & 60. I do 10% water changes almost weekly and only have 6 relatively smaller fish in there with a small cucrew.

Well, the canister filter might be the reason for your nitrates being high. Probably need to clean it really well. As for a skimmer, since you are doing FOWLR you might not need one. But, you are using a canister filter AND a biowheel filter? That there is more than enough filtration...I'd atleast hope your water is pristine! Unless you are overfeeding like a champ, there is no reason for more filtration.

I normally feed them twice a day a combo of krill, pellet & brine shrimp. So you do think the
Bio-wheel emperor is a better fit then a skimmer?

Twice a day? What do you have that needs feeding twice a day? Me feeding my tank every day is too much. But that is why I have a skimmer. If you want to keep up with that feeding regiment...you might want a skimmer. There are HOB skimmers too, mine could be either and was HOB before I got my sump setup.

I have 3 small damsels, 1 small yellow tang, a green wrasse, a snowflake eel & a small Niger trigger. Do you think I'm over feeding them?

Back
Top Bottom