Hang on refuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMPD109

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am considering using a hang on refugium on my tank. As you can see in my signature I have a 28 gal Euro(bowfront). I have seen the refuges that are 13.25 long 4 deep and 12 tall. This unit will fit on my tank but is it worth the trouble.

Will this small of a refuge help in nitrate reduction? Has anyone had any experience with a hang on refuge?

ph 8.2, temp 78, sal 1.021, amm 0, nitrite 0,
nitrate 40, phosphate 0, cal 420 and alk 5

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I have the CPR 18'' HOB refugium model on my 55 gallon. I have about 1 1/2 inches of sand, some pieces live rock rubble, and some chaeto macroalge in there. The chaeto has grown alot. As far as nitrates go, before I had the refugium, my nitrates were around 20, now they are 5 to 10. I never can seem to get down to 0, but 5 to 10 is pretty good.

Also, another benefit is the refugium has turned into a pod haven, i look in there and can see tons of little pods swimming around.

If you can't add a refugium under your tank, like me because of my poor decision in the tank stand i bought, then the HOB is a good alternative. It may not be big enough to get your nitrates down to 0, but will definately help. Also, note that the HOB will add another powerhead inside of your tank, some people hate to have to do that.

The CPR hangon refugium will definately benefit your tank. Nothing like macro to reduce nitrates and phosphates!

Well just checking my tank length and guess what. The 13.25 width of the HOB refugium wont fit with my skimmer and filter. I am going to have to get a separate refuge. Any ideas on if this will work out. I have been told a pump to return the water to the tank will be too much for my 28 gal tank. I currently have only a HOT magnum(250 gph) and seaclone 100(maxi-jet 1200@295 gph) for my water movement. Will another pump from a return be too much for the tank? What is the smallest size of pump needed to return the water to the tank?

Those with the Hang ons

How loud is it?
and does it look ugly hanging on the back ? or do you really not see it.

I am considering one myself for my Nano-Cube

randalp and captive reefs are right, CPR aquafuge is the best HOB refugium and its great for pods and macro! :D I have the small aquafuge and I love it.

EL Diablo said:
Those with the Hang ons

How loud is it?
and does it look ugly hanging on the back ? or do you really not see it.

I am considering one myself for my Nano-Cube

It makes as much noise as a powerhead does. I use a maxijet 600 on mine, so it is as quiet as a maxijet 600 is. which is very quiet i think. It comes packaged with a rio powerhead, Not sure if it is common for rio's or not, but mine was loud, making a constant annoying clicking noise, I tired to fix it, but got frustrated and modded it to use a maxijet.

As far if it is ugly or not. I don't have a canopy on my tank, so I can see it from the front, I would say about it is about 2 or 3 inches higher then the top of my tank, I also have a light on it, so i can see that too. My chaeto macro algae is spread pretty much throughout the entire refugium, so i do see the green macro from the front of the tank. I don't think its ugly, but thats a matter of opinion. I'll put it this way, everyone who has looked at my aquarium has never mentioned it. hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom