has anybody ever shipped fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Someone I know wants some of my sunburst platies (I know this seems a little strange... they are nice but I am sure they could get nice ones elsewhere)... but this would require them being shipped. I know you can order fish online from businesses, but I was wondering if anyone has ever shipped fish themselves?

I am not very experienced at shipping fish Elle, however I will give you what I know

1. Do not feed 48 hours before shipping.(less chance to dirty the water in the transport bag)
2 I would use regular LFS bags doubled up. 1/3 with water and the rest with air. Dont blow in bag, I know you know that!!
Tie one knot and put that end in the other bag so the knots are opposite.
You are suppose to make it as round as possible so fish dont freak and get caught in a corner.
3 Pack crumbled newspaper at the bottom of a small styrofoam box or whatever you are using for shipping. Place the bags in and pack the whole thing with newspaper good, As far as a coldpack because of summer heat, you will have to make the judgement as far as where and it is going and weather. Alot of people dont use them.

If they really want these fish that bad then they should pay for some kind of faster than regular shipping service to put your mind at ease.

Hopefully someone with more experience will help. I know one AA member that ships fish all the time. I will PM him and see what he says

Thanks! I am not sure that I will do it in the end.. they are just platies.. granted really really nice ones.. but still... then again I have so many since my tank is heavily planted and the fry are surviving at a very high rate (will sepearte the breeding pair as soon as I can get another set up).

I actually didn't know not to breath in the bag... though that makes sense to me... CO2? So how do you make sure that there is enough air in there?

I definitely wouldn't do it unless it was express shipped.

Thanks also for sending the pm message!

Wow I am glad I said about breathing in the bag!

Just use regular air. You will figure it out when you have the bag in your hand.

No problem with the Pm. He should get back to you by tomorrow

I've watched some of the employees at my LFS do it. They get the water and fish in the bag, make sure the bag is well opened and round all the way to the top, then grab and close the top very quickly, trapping the air inside. It may take some practice, so try it a few times with no fish until you get the hang of it.

If you have an air pump for your aquarium you could put the pipe in the bag and tighten the bag around it until it's full with air.

You can also buy oxygen tablets, i dont know if they would be any good for this?

I have shipped fish hundreds of times. How many fish are you shipping, and how far?

There are a few options for you as far as packing goes...the two best are Kordon's breathing bags or regular fish bags, double-bagged and bagged with pure oxygen (a little zeolite in the bottom helps, too). These will then go within a sturdy styrofoam box inside a good cardboard box....the regular fish bags can be packed snugly, the breathing bages need ait around them, so they must have some styrofoam peanuts or crumpled newspaper around them. Fish should be shipped by the most direct and expeditious manner possible, so shipper, service, and times should be planned well in advance...and always ship early in the day (or very late in the day) on a Monday or Tuesday, so that they get to their destination very quickly and do not end up sitting in a depot somewhere.

If you have more specific questions, please feel free to ask...I would be happy to walk you through the process.

One thing here. IMO is a must for all fish shipping is do not just tie a knot in the top of the bag. If you do your going to get either a wet pckage or the airs going to leak out of the bag. Use a rubber band to seal the bag. Then do llike Toirtis said" double bag" This is a simple thing but can mean the differnts between live and DOA. When you do this always place the knot from the bag the fish is in,in the next bag frist. This will insure there is no conner for the fish to get traped in.
Now this is one thing most people don't do when shiping fish and IMO is a must. Place the bag in the middle of the box and place it so as it stands up or at a angal. I can't speak for anybody else but me. I have recived more fish DOA because of people shipping and just placing the bag in the bottom of the box. Laying flat and the fish only have about 1 inches of water covering them.
I always try to set the bag at a angal and put paper or packing peanuts under the side to support it. Then again like Toirtis said " Use a shipper that and try to ship on a monday or tuesday at the latest. You can ship USPS "united atartes postal service" overnight for around $23.00 and USPS 2nd day deliver for around $7.50. aldepends on the wight of the package. If you have a zip code I can get you a quote on shipping cost really quick. The same goes here if you hve any question feel free to ask and I to can walk you throw it.

Thanks all! I feel like I SHOULD be shipping these fish now. ;) Anyone want some really nice sunburst platies? ;)

This is very helpful advice, thanks again.

I have never shipped them, but just had a disaster today with a...mess...that I had shipped to me. This experience might help others.

Take all of the above excellent advice very seriously! Use tight-fitting styro sheets cut to fit the box-no gaps and on all six sides. Or of course a solid styro liner with a lid. Do put the bags vertically. Do use a cold pack/packs if it's even threatening to be hot anywhere along the route. Tape the pack(s) to the inside of the lid and insulate the fish a thick layer of peanuts or crumpled/shredded paper.

Pack each fish in a separate bag; then if one dies en route it won't foul the water the other ones are in.

If you are considering sending them Priority Mail, make sure the destination is within 2 days; let's just say mine took 3 days. Happily, it was only one fish, but I'm still shocked at what was in that bag.

Back
Top Bottom