Has anyone ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enardone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone here built a retaining wall in their tanks so that there are two levels? I would love to see pictures and hear tips if you have.

I eventually want to plant in my tank and I thought it would look neat if I built a retaining wall and had the top level for plants and the lower level plant free with sand.

I thought about using large river rock to build the wall, but I'm unsure of how well that would hold up. I do love river rock and think it would look great against white sand.

I have though of doing this as well. This was my plan...I was going to collect a crap load of small, flat rock and just build a wall with them and using silicone for the adhesive. But my problem area is that there will be small gaps so the sand might leak through. Maybe some black silicone to fill in the gaps? I don't know, I just don't want to spend a ton of money on some special aquarium decor.

I think if you really work with the stacking, you can minimize gaps and just fill them with the silicone.

My issue is my tank is full of fish and water and seeing as how the silicone has to cure for 3 days... I'm trying to convince my husband to buy an identical tank and let me set up everything in the dry tank and move all my stuff over. Then he can have the old tank, lol. Seeing as how this tank just finished cycling I don't really want to mess everything up.

Is sand an ok substrate to use with low light plants or will I have to get something else?

Sand will be fine for the plants. Just make the wall up outside of the tank, and place it in the tank when it's ready. You can make it in a few section too, just match the rocks up on a table or work bench. Taking pictures works too remember where there go. Haha

Back
Top Bottom