Hatch Rate of Shark Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been really interested in hatching a bamboo shark egg in my aquarium, (Probably because its Shark Week:cool:). I was interested in, Do all the shark eggs hatch out of there eggs or is there a good percent that doesn't hatch.

:thanks:

If you order one or get one from your lfs, you can easily tell I they are alive or not. The shark inside the egg will be moving around periodically. It can take months to hatch. When I got my shark egg, it took over a month to hatch. It was already a few inches long though when I bought the egg. Never take the egg out of water as air can enter the egg and get trapped in it. Baby sharks can take a lot of work to get to where they eat on their own. Do a lot if research on YouTube and other sites that describe the process. I'm very happy with my shark and would do it again. I have a 300 gallon aquarium for it. Recommend at least this size for a shark. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For a bamboo shark you need a bare minnimum of 300-400 gallons as they grow to be 2-3 feet. Really not practical for 99.99% of home aquaria. What is your tank size?

If you order one or get one from your lfs, you can easily tell I they are alive or not. The shark inside the egg will be moving around periodically. It can take months to hatch. When I got my shark egg, it took over a month to hatch. It was already a few inches long though when I bought the egg. Never take the egg out of water as air can enter the egg and get trapped in it. Baby sharks can take a lot of work to get to where they eat on their own. Do a lot if research on YouTube and other sites that describe the process. I'm very happy with my shark and would do it again. I have a 300 gallon aquarium for it. Recommend at least this size for a shark. Good luck to you!

I'm gonna hatch him in a 75 them move him to a 250 when he gets a tad larger. If There is no way I can hatch him in the 75 I will just do the 250 if it's okay. My lfs doesn't supply the eggs so I was thinking of ordering one online of liveaquaria or somewhere like that, but could they give me a dead egg or could the egg die during its growth?

Thanks

If you get a dead egg, they should replace it for you. Google what live and dead shark eggs look like and you should be able to tell upon its arrival. I would hatch it in the 75 if you can. If it doesn't eat and you need to "help" it, it's easier to get out that way. I had to do that for over a month with mine. Again, not recommended, but sometimes necessary. Back to the egg, there is a possibility of it dying in your tank. Just do a lot of research as to how to maintain a shark egg. I had mine suspended with fishing string with low-moderate flow in its location.

Back
Top Bottom