Have I Screwed Up Horribly Already?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xRealNinjuzx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, so I work at home. It's nice and all, but sitting in my office staring at my computer can get boring. I have a puppy, but she just gets me worked up. I decided that to relax myself and have something nice in the living room, I would put together an aquarium. I havent had one since I was 6, and it didnt work out very well back then.

So yesterday, I finally broke down after thinking about it for a couple of weeks and just got something small to mess with until I move into a house where I can have a larger tank.

So, day 1. I bought a TopFin 10 gallon tank/kit thing from Petsmart. ($40). I also bought 2 test kits (a strip kit 5 in 1) and a good kit to do better tests with in case the strips get me concerned. I bought a thermometer, flake fish food, PRIME dechlorinator, a few small live plants (I forgot the names) and Brite 'n Clear water clearing stuff. I also got a few fish, which I will get to in a moment.

When I initially got everything, I didn't know what cycling was or anything. Unfortunately, I didnt find this forum until a friend of mine showed it to me when I told him about my new adventure. So anyway, I rinsed the gravel, placed it in with 2 inches layering the bottom, decorated, filled the tank, set the plants, and then used the dechlorinator. After a few hours of letting the filter run, getting the temperature (in my house and in my aquarium) set, and making sure everything was working properly, the water looked pretty good. I tested it for everything, and it all came out with good numbers according to what I have seen posted around, so I acclimated the fish and cut them loose.

I have just a few questions now so that I make sure I continue in the correct direction, since I have to be especially careful since I havent cycled my tank.

1. how is this for my initial stock?

4 - Buenos Aires Tetras
2 - Upside Down Catfish

2. The water is kind of cloudy I think. I mean, I can see straight through, but it doesnt look very nice. What can I do to clean it up? Can I use the Brite n Clear while the fish are in the tank? Should I just let it work itself out?

3. What should I do now, besides testing and PWC every day or 2 until everything is in order?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

The water will clear on its own. Probably bacteria starting to form. All you can do is test your water levels and change water as needed. The upside down cats may get to big for your tank. Any idea what kind they are?

rich311k said:
The upside down cats may get to big for your tank. Any idea what kind they are?

Unfortunately not.

Also, they both seem to greatly enjoy floating next to the heater. Is that an issue?

Will Petsmart take them back and let me exchange them for other fish that would be better suited for my size tank?

If they will, any recommendations?

Have I Screwed Up Horribly Already?

Not at all

It is more then possible to cycle successfully and with minimal stress to your fish, just be wary of ammonia and nitrite levels until the cycle is complete, as suggested, and do a pwc when nessicary.

I'm not a big fan of tetras and cats they seem to be to fragile for me, but I do have great success with ARLC 's(in a larger tank) I'm at the stage now where my fish will "tell" me when i need to do a water change. So testing is done but not entirely needed.

Sounds like your off to a fantastic start, well done :)

Matthew

I dont know Petsmarts return policy. If they will take them back I would not replace until the tank is cycled. Cory cats would be a nice choice for the bottom of your tank.

xRealNinjuzx said:
I also bought 2 test kits (a strip kit 5 in 1) and a good kit to do better tests with in case the strips get me concerned.
test strip kits are usually unreliable. get a liquid test kit such as the AP master test kit. you will find it cheaper online.

xRealNinjuzx said:
Brite 'n Clear water clearing stuff. I also got a few fish, which I will get to in a moment.
dont need this stuff. let the filter and good W/C do their job.

xRealNinjuzx said:
When I initially got everything, I didn't know what cycling was or anything...all came out with good numbers according to what I have seen posted around, so I acclimated the fish and cut them loose.
since its a new tank you would not have any "numbers". you will have to be careful the next few weeks as the tank will have ammonia and nitrite spikes.
xRealNinjuzx said:
1. how is this for my initial stock?
4 - Buenos Aires Tetras
2 - Upside Down Catfish
looks good to me.
xRealNinjuzx said:
3. What should I do now, besides testing and PWC every day or 2 until everything is in order?
buy that kit and enjoy your fish! wait till you get your first 125g one. 8)

Test strips are notorious about being inaccurate. Is your other test kit a liquid test kit?

Also, test often. Fir the benefit of the fish, you will need to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels below .5ppm, and not let it go over 1ppm max. That means PWC's as necessary.

I don't know Petsmart's policies, but if you took them to another lfs, they might give some credit towards another purchase. Never hurts to ask.

Also, never use any product that claims to clear the water. It doesn't.

I think buenos aires tetras get a little big for a 10g. The Upside down cats do also. When the tank is cycled, you may need to exchange them for something more suitable for that tank size.

Buenos aires are very nippy, so don't add anything else to the tank, especially anything with long fins.

might wanna ditch the test strips and get a liquid reagent type test kits, there alot more accurate and aren't prone to go bad like test strips are

Thanks for the help guys.

I do have a liquid test kit also.

I just discovered how nippy they are when I fed them and they started playing rough with the cats. Im kind of disappointed, but its my own fault since I didnt read up on them as much since I was really pleased with the way they looked...

Can any of you guys recommend an active bunch that I could replace them with? I really enjoy watching them zip around and play :)

Harlequin rasboras are small, very peaceful, colorful, and active. I have 6 in my 10g with a betta and they are swimming around all the time.

Lemon tetras are also active. They play amongst themselves and should be fun to watch.

Flame tetras are pretty active also. I have 9 in my 55g and they are constantly zipping across the tank.

Two more fishy suggestions.....Pristella tetras or zebra danios (if you really want active fish!). Platies would be good too.

I agree the Buenos Aires tetras get pretty big (for tetras). I had some a while back in a 45 gal and they were 2+". They are pretty, though!

You mentioned you had live plants so I'll address this since no one else has. I believe the TopFin kit comes with an incandecent hood. This will not be enough light for the plants. However, the cure is rather simple. Just go to Walmart and buy 2 CF screw in light bulbs. Research your plants and determine your needs.

Low light plants - 2 10w bulbs
Medium light plants - 2 15w bulbs
High light plants - 2 20w bulbs

Medium and high light will eventually require CO2 and fertilizer. If that idea is too much trade your medium/high light plants in for low light plants. If you have enough healthy growing plants, you don't even have to worry about cycling your tank.

Thanks for the tip Tong. I have 3 small swords. If im not mistaken, I read that those were low light plants. That sucks that I am gonna have to fertilize them and get new lights and all of that.

How often are you supposed to give them fertilizer?

I guess I have to go get some 10w bulbs tomorrow.

In other news, the fish all seem to be getting along nicely for the time being. The water has cleared up nicely, and everything seems good so far.

I guess I have to go get some 10w bulbs tomorrow
If you have a Walmart in the area, they sell the 10 watt screw in CF bulbs for like $4 each in the fish section. Or you can go to the hardware section and by a 2 pack there for around $8...make sure you get the ones labelled "sunlight" though. I made the mistake and bought the regular soft white ones...not good enough.

I have lemon and glowlight tetras and they are very active and low waste producers. With a ten gallon you will only be able to stock one kind because they like to be in schools of 6 or more.

Have fun!

I think you've got too many fish in there myself. The Buenos Aires tetras will get about 3-4 inches and even the common upside down cat fish (S. Nigroventis) will get about 4 inches and very thick bodied.

The cat fish dont appear to be thriving. Neither of them are very active, and dont appear to be eating. Im about to take them out of the tank. I watch them at various points for a long time, and they only stay in the same 2 places (behind the heater and next to the filter) no matter what time it is or whether or not the light is off.

Also, the tetras are certainly doing a number on the plants. They have eaten off a few of the petals from all of the plants. Is that normal? They also eat all of the flakes that I provide, so im not concerned about them not eating.

Also, I did a pwc yesterday when I noticed that the amonia levels were starting to rise. In order to make them stay low until my tank finishes cycling, the only thing I can do is water changes, right?

Thanks guys!

Water changes is the only thing you can do. You will be doing a lot of them so you will be an expert soon. Some tetras do eat plants, I have never kept Buenos Aires Tetras, but it sounds like they are one of the species that will. Bottom dwellers dont do well in uncycled tanks because the toxins seen to settle at the bottom.

Most sword plants get too big for a 10 gallon tank. Find out what sword species you have. Most LFS sell Amazon Swords, which get really big.

Better low light plants might be Java Ferns, Java Moss, Crypts, and Anubias. There are others that would work well but they might be harder to find at a LFS.

Back
Top Bottom