Having trouble coming up with a good starters stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well im going to set up a 10gall for one of my freinds (would have rathered a 20, but money is an issue for them) anyways, so being that I got into the hobby with angel fish ( :roll: ) im trying to come up with some good options for them for the tank, I dont know why I cant come up with any good ones because when somone on here ask's I get all kinds of ideas....so ya, here are a few! (im going to take them to the big LFS hopefully this week so they can pick some out but still wanted to throw a few out their) I will be supplying the tank, filter, light, gravel, plants, decor, food, everything to get them started.... so thats not an issue either..so here are a few I came up with

1x bolivian ram
6x neon tetra
5x otto/corry (choice)
3x male guppy's
3x otto's/ corries (their choice)
1x bolivian ram

anything? I know its like the same fish keep coming up, but I am running out of good beginers stock! (like..this family has only had the gold fish in a bowl thing before)
so any help would be welcomed!

I always found cherry barbs to be another good starter...hardy and peaceful. Also, as you said, pretty much any tetra. Personally I've been eyeballing the black neons--so they're a thought! I'd go with corys over otos personally just because you want them to succeed and with otos being sometimes touchy... Your best bet is probably to go with them prepared to be the veto over bad choices.

I vote some small cories like the pandas and some neon tetras. 10 gallons isn't a lot to work with so I'd try to keep things small, unless the intention is to have your friend catch MTS.

I think otos are pretty sensitive and wouldn't be much of a starter fish, but that's just based on my experience.

I would go with some Pygmy Corys Corydoras pygmaeus, Neons amd whatever your friend likes better, Ram or Dwarf Gourami. I would wait a few months and get a couple ottos and maybe Amano Shrimp.

I would agree with everyone else about the cories. Ottos are too sensitive, need a well established tank to thrive.

I would do the micro rasboras or neons with some pygmy or panda cories.

Back
Top Bottom