Having water troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bunnyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gal tank with 3 Large Goldfish. I have had the tank for about 18mos. I have a Fluval 305 filtering system. Recently, water getting cloudy, green and amonia level went high. I did several 30% - 50% water changes over the last 3 - 4 weeks. Added a ammonia revover pack to the filtering system and ammonia levels went down and are now in normal range. The water remainded cloudy and is turning green again. I vacuum regularly and recently took out the plastic plants, and large rock formations and rinsed them off. I replaced the foam inserts, carbon bags in the filtering system. Added the polishing pads filters as well. Water is again turning green, but ammonia levels are ok. I was feeding my goldfish peas. Switched to flakes and then tried pellets. Water going back to green. Anyone have suggestions on what may be causing this? I cycle the lights on during the day and off at night. The tank is gets no direct sunlight. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to cure my cloudy/green water? Thank you.

Hi! Can you post your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph and what you are using to test (liquid or strips)? There isnt such a thing as a 'normal' or 'safe' range for ammonia except for zero. What type of water change schedule do you have (%/#wk)? What type of lighting and how long are they on (hours)? Can you post a pic of what you are seeing? How big are your fish? Some more info will help!

Back
Top Bottom