Health care facility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bald57

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all
I live in a small town in southern Alberta, Canada. We have a seniors lodge here in town that has ask me to put in a salt water tank for all the residences, staff, and visitors. I put out a call on the internet to see if anyone had any equipment that they might want to donate. Well as it happened, we had 5 different tanks donated. One being a 100 gallon tank with stand and lights.
Over the past couple of weeks, I have been canvasing around our town telling the local business what we wanted to do. As it has turned out the response has been over whelming. I have received over 1000.00 to help buy the equipment needed to start this tank.
In our health care facility, we have some with Demenia, Altimers, and some with medical issues. The staff have been telling the residences what we are going to do and now they come up to me and ask when I am going to install this tank. I will be getting this tank sometime early next week. Once I get it I am going to give it a good cleaning, make sure there is no leaks and if needed reseal it. Once the tank is in place and cycled, we are going to use this tank as a therapeutic tool. Each time I add a fish, I am going to post a picture of it on the wall. Then the staff are going to bring the residences one at a time, show them the picture and tell them that fish has the same name as they do. Each time they are going to be ask to find that fish who has the same name as they do.
When this tank is going strong, we intend to add two more tanks at each end of the facility, giving a total of 3 tanks. Our other lodge, hospital, and high school also found out what we were doing and want me to do the same thing in each of their buildings.
Our program name is Adventures Under the Sea. It has been used in other hospitals, lodges, doctors offices etc with great success. When I get the tank, I will post pictures as we progress. I for one am really excited to be a part of this program. I know how much joy it brings and how it can change a persons mood in just a very short period of time.
Thanks for listening.
Bill

Following! Sounds like an awesome idea, cant wait to see pictures!

You could make it a nice reef tank with easy soft corals that blow in the current. Nothing more relaxing than that :). Btw this is a fantastic idea and I'm looking forward to it. I've been pushing my gf (she's a social worker at a mental hospital) to have them install a fish tank for their patients.

Nice story... Glad to hear people are still willing to help each other. Following along for updates!

Back
Top Bottom