Heater Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfishkid

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's getting colder where I live and the heater I have doesn't seem to be doing much. Currently the temperature is 74 degrees F. Which is okay but the temp always dips down at night. I don't know how to turn the heater on and there's no obvious button.

What heater do you have? Most you set the temp, plug in, and they run. No on/off switch.

What size is your tank?
How many watts is your heater?

If your heater is adjustable, there should be a knob on top. There are a lot of "preset" heaters out there. They can't be adjusted so you have to make sure you have the proper size heater for your tank.

What size is your tank? How many watts is your heater? If your heater is adjustable, there should be a knob on top. There are a lot of "preset" heaters out there. They can't be adjusted so you have to make sure you have the proper size heater for your tank.

The tank is 22 gal. and the heater is 100 watts. I checked the top and there was a knob, do i just adjust the temp with that?

Yep. That will do the trick. Some will say the temp that it will hear to on the top with the dial and some will have it on the tube itself. Just set that to the desires temp and watch the thermometer. It may not go to the exact temp so you may need to fine tune it a little but not much.

Yup! Like the last poster mentioned, watch your thermometer to make sure you don't go too high. Adjust it up slowly so you don't shock the fish with a big jump all at once.

Back
Top Bottom