Heater question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bet. So to clarify, did you move the heaters near the filter. They need to be near it so the heated water will circulate.

I'm at a loss. What's the chances of both heaters bring messed up. 1 200 watt should heat it by itself.

Heat some water on the stove and put the thermometer in it and watch it raise and make sure the thing is right

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet. So to clarify, did you move the heaters near the filter. They need to be near it so the heated water will circulate.

Yes I did. I think it could be my thermometer, or the fact I put my 'top' on it lol. I stuck my hand in the tank and I could tell by feel it was warmer than before.

Heat some water on the stove and put the thermometer in it and watch it raise and make sure the thing is right

I did this earlier with a glass of cool water, It fell like I thought it should. Then I did a glass of warmer water and it rose. I let it cool down and put it back in the tank.. It went up, but only to 78/79ish.

The top will help keep heat in. Heat rises. If it can't get out it stays longer

LFS has hoods for a 55, but they have them priced at like $90... I'm not paying that much for a darn hood.

There's no way the heaters are working properly. To raise to temp only by 1 degree above room temp. My basement is 68 and my under powered oldies handle 7 degrees above. Need to bring those back in the morning for replacements I think

There's no way the heaters are working properly. To raise to temp only by 1 degree above room temp. My basement is 68 and my under powered oldies handle 7 degrees above. Need to bring those back in the morning for replacements I think

The old one I have i have no clue where the receipt is, I've had it since around October 2012 I think? It's been a while so I doubt they would take it back.

If going plexiglass make sure it's at least 1/4" thick. 1/8" thick will begin to sag. Had this happen to me on a 20 gal. Ended up making my own glass lid out of an old window. Glass is relatively easy to cut. YouTube is awesome for DIY!

I have 2 of the 200watt heaters from Walmart..... Both quit on me within the first month! Amazon has a 300watt with a degree dial for about $15, I replaced my walmarts with 1 of these. Much better quality.

I have 2 of the 200watt heaters from Walmart..... Both quit on me within the first month! Amazon has a 300watt with a degree dial for about $15, I replaced my walmarts with 1 of these. Much better quality.

I actually have the same one in my cart, I guess I'll be ordering it soon. I'll be a horrible person and keep my new one I bought until I get the one from amazon... :hide: lol.

Back
Top Bottom