Hello and HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I kind of blew all my money on the tank and fish. I am thinking bout returning all the fish and starting the fishless cycle and then hopefully that will make my water better. is there anyway that I can make my water livable without returning the fish

Do a pwc everyday, 25%. You really need to track your ammonia levels. The tank is done cycling once the ammonia and nitrites are at zero. Without being able to test them there is no way to track it. Unless you bring a water sample in to the pet store every day or every other day. If you can't get the API kit I still recommend getting some ammonia test strips.

By the way don't worry about your ph as long as it stays the same it will not affect your fish. Don't try to adjust the ph as it will do more harm than good :). Good luck!!

fred said:
Do a pwc everyday, 25%. You really need to track your ammonia levels. The tank is done cycling once the ammonia and nitrites are at zero. Without being able to test them there is no way to track it. Unless you bring a water sample in to the pet store every day or every other day. If you can't get the API kit I still recommend getting some ammonia test strips.

I am going to try to get the API kit but I don't know if wal matt sells it I think the sell the ammonia strips. That's the closet thing I have to a pet store unless I want to drive 45 mins.

But if I get the ammonia test strips tonight and come home and it say the ammonia is like a 1 or 2 I should do a water right then and there and then wake up tomorrow and do the same thing until I can either return my fish and start a fishless cycle or until the ammonia level stays at 0

What can I do about these bubble on the top of my tank does that have something to do with my levels being messed up

image-532293800.jpg

This is the picture of the bubbles on the top of my tank

Yes you should absolutely change the water if the levels are that high. You are not going to hurt your fish or the cycle by doing so. IMO returning your fish is pointless now because you won't get money for them (at least you wouldn't where I'm at) Just keep up with pwc and monitor the ammonia and nitrites if u can. Feed them sparingly (like a pinch every other day). Really pay close attention to their breathing and watch for ammonia poisoning. If u keep up with the pwc I think your fish will be fine (but do not add any more to it)
As for the bubbles I have never seen that before. I'm not sure what is causing that. Do you have an airstone ? Maybe there's too much air coming into the tank? I'm really just guessing here.

Mahoney said:
What can I do about these bubble on the top of my tank does that have something to do with my levels being messed up

No the bubbles have nothing to do with your levels. Every new tank goes through a cycle. Your fish need beneficial bacteria to survive (this is the cycling process. Ammonia turns to Nitrites, Nitrites to Nitrates and then you get your BB). Once your BB is at the right level for your tank the ammonia and nitrites should stay at zero for the most part. Of course there's always factors you have to consider, that may cause an ammonia spike (like adding new fish, over feeding, dead fish in the tank etc....).

I have a small rectangular air stone and a dragon air thing. The pet store I got my fish from will give you your money back if you return them with in 14 days. I could have to Michael air bubble in the tank is there a way to lower them

Mahoney said:
I have a small rectangular air stone and a dragon air thing. The pet store I got my fish from will give you your money back if you return them with in 14 days. I could have to Michael air bubble in the tank is there a way to lower them

Well if that's the case I would return them! That way you can do the fishless cycling and slowly restock your tank. I only introduce 2 or 3 fish at a time and then wait a week or so before you add more. That way your tank has time to adjust. I would just put more substrate on top of the stone (that's what I do).

fred said:
Well if that's the case I would return them! That way you can do the fishless cycling and slowly restock your tank. I only introduce 2 or 3 fish at a time and then wait a week or so before you add more. That way your tank has time to adjust. I would just put more substrate on top of the stone (that's what I do).

What you mean put more substrate on too of the stone

The gravel, pile it on top of the stone more if u can.

fred said:
The gravel, pile it on top of the stone more if u can.

I put gravel on the air stone and it made those bubbles go away but the dragon is still doing it and idk how to stop it cause it's not on the floor of my tank

image-3353863337.jpg

Is there a a valve or something to stop some if the air flow? Or just take the air out if the dragon and just have it as a statue.

fred said:
Is there a a valve or something to stop some if the air flow? Or just take the air out if the dragon and just have it as a statue.

There isn't a valve on it but I got a double pump so i don't know how to stop just one of them

Well I don't know what else to tell you. Just leave it or disconnect the air. It's up to you :). Hard for me to say without seeing it ;)

fred said:
Well I don't know what else to tell you. Just leave it or disconnect the air. It's up to you :). Hard for me to say without seeing it ;)

I disconnected the dragon and put rocks of the air stone and the stuff on too of the water went awau

Back
Top Bottom