Hello from Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Run the Malachite Green medication for 5 days. The deworming medication is flexible enough to do once every 7-10 days. I just say 7 days so it's easier to do (ie: treat them every Sunday for 3 weeks).

This has been and continues to be such an ordeal! I believe it all came from adding fish without proper quarantine. Unfortunately, you learn from innocent mistakes, and those mistakes cause a lot of stress. You don't get ANY of this information when you buy your first aquarium and fish at the pet store. It's a very steep learning curve!

That happens a lot. People have a nice happy tank and decide to add a few more fish. Then they all get sick. And you are right, most shops don't tell you to quarantine fish or even do a fishless cycle when starting out unless it's an African Rift Lake tank or a marine tank. You have to do a fishless cycle on these tanks because of the high pH (around 8.5-9.0). Any ammonia produced in water with a high pH becomes extremely toxic to fish and if you don't cycle the tank first, you lose everything in it. Most shops simply want you in and out as quick as possible and to get money off you in that time.

I used to go through this stuff with customers when I was working in shops and would spend up to an hour with a customer helping them set up a tank. The bosses used to come over every now and then and see if I was right, or say they needed my help out the back for a minute. They didn't want me spending too much time with customers but it paid off for them because the customers came back and brought friends and family back to get tanks and fish. Unfortunately though, most shops don't know any better, and don't want to tell their customers anything. It's going back to how it was when people started keeping aquarium fish. When I started out years ago I would ask the shop keeper (usually the owner) how to keep fish. They wouldn't tell me a thing. They would sell you 20 medium size goldfish to go in a 2 foot tank and you would buy the tank the same day. It got better in the late 80s & 90s when staff at pet shops actually cared enough to tell you to set up a tank, let it run for a week or two with plants in and then get a few fish. But nowadays, it's gone back to the 60s & 70s, where nobody tells you anything.

Any way, I have dribbled on long enough. All new fish should be quarantined for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks before they are added to an established aquarium. If the fish get sick in quarantine, the 2 or 4 week period starts after they have recovered from any illness. I like to deworm them while they are in quarantine so you don't transfer anything into the main display tank. Quarantine tanks should have their own nets, gravel cleaners and buckets to stop cross contamination into healthy tanks.

Yes, you are so right, and I wish there were more people with your insight and care working in the stores. I was truly floundering before you answered me on this forum. The internet can literally drive you crazy with all the conflicting information!

So far, everything you have advised me on has kept the fish alive, feeding and swimming actively. They are clearly fighting some kind of infection, but I feel for the first time that I might be able to help them thanks to your advice. After what you told me about the livebearers coming over from Asia infested with intestinal worms, it confirms what I've been seeing even in my limited experience. And yes, I went out and bought a new gravel vac. The one I had has become the quarantine tank vac. Separate equipment from now on.

Once I'm done with the 5 days of malachite green, I will dose the praziquantel, wait 24 hours, do a massive water change, and then dose the levamisole. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

Update after 5 days of malachite green:

All 3 are still alive and feeding and swimming around! I haven't seen any flashing for the past couple days which is a huge relief. :)

I'm now doing the 2nd praziquantel dose (after a big water change). I will do two 75% water changes and gravel/filter clean tomorrow and the day after.

The levamisole, Expel-P, arrived from Amazon yesterday, and I will dose with that after the 2 water changes.

Here's hoping....

WOW! The adventure continues... The guppy that I moved from the main tank appears to have given birth to ANOTHER fry in the hospital tank. She gave birth 3 weeks ago in the main tank already. I don’t have any male guppies. She arrived pregnant.

Is this normal? Should I keep the baby in the hospital tank with the 2 adult platies and the guppy? I'm worried that I still need to finish medicating with the deworming medications.

I am gobsmacked!

Leave everyone in quarantine until you have finished treatment.

If you added the new fish to the main display tank, they might have introduced worms to that tank and you should be deworming that tank as well as the quarantine/ hospital tank.

-------------------

Common female livebearers like guppies, platies, swordtails and mollies can carry 6 or more sperm packets from previous matings with male fish. They can choose which sperm packets they want to use and when, and they use the sperm packets to fertilise batches of eggs in their bodies when conditions are good. This allows them to continue producing offspring for months (sometimes even a year or more) without any males being present.

If you want maximum offspring from female livebearers, have lots of plants in the tank and feed the adults well. Keep females away from males so the males don't harass the females. Don't put females in breeding boxes/ traps and try not to handle them or lift them out of water because you can harm the developing embryos and stress the females. If you have to move pregnant females, carefully catch them in a net and then use a plastic container to scoop the female and net up in some tank water. Move her (in the net in the bucket of water) to a new tank and then carefully pour her into the new tank.

If you move the female to a smaller aquarium that would stress her.

If you use completely new water in the new tank it would stress her. If you set up a new tank for her you should fill the new tank with water from her current tank, so the water is exactly the same.

If the new tank does not have any plants in it will stress her. Put some plants in with her. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant for livebearers. It normally grows on the surface but can also be grown in the substrate where it grows into a lovely light green shrub.

If you don't have any live plants then add a heap of artificial plants to provide her with shelter when she goes into labour, and to give the fry somewhere to hide when they are born.

Make sure the new tank has an established filter in it so the water stays clean.
Do not put the female into a tank with males until at least 1 week after she has given birth otherwise the male/s will stress her out.

Try not to move the female for at least 1 week after she has given birth so she can heal up. If you have to move the female after she has given birth, use the method above for moving pregnant females.

This is such fascinating information! I had no idea...

Overnight, there have been new arrivals. At last count, I see 4 more babies. I'm thinking that I will need to get everyone into a bigger tank. I've decided to get a new tank and convert the current 10 gallon into a quarantine tank in phases.

So far, the fry are hiding very efficiently in the plastic plant that I have in the hospital tank. The 3 adults are extremely well fed, so they're not really showing any interest in eating the fry except to chase them half heartedly into the plastic plant.

The female guppy finally looks normal sized again! I hope she's done for now.

I ended up moving the fry to the 10 gallon tank for now. I am treating both the 10 gallon and the hospital tanks with the levamisole and the praziquantel, and the hospital tank was simply getting too crowded. I didn't move the mother guppy as you recommended.

Speaking of the platys, they are both quite subdued today. The one with the eye affliction has this coming out of her abdomen. Do you know what is going on?

Attachments

• IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 11
The white fluffy stuff on its butt looks like fungus. Salt should help. Use 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres and see how it goes. If it doesn't improve after 24 hours, add a second heaped tablespoon of salt per 20 litres and monitor. If it doesn't improve after a couple of days with salt, post more pictures and a video of it.

Monitor its poop.

Is it still eating well?

This morning when I went to check on the fish in the hospital tank, the sick platy was hiding behind the HOB filter. She has been so listless for the past few days and not eating.

You were right about the fungus. When I tried to get her to swim, she rubbed against the plastic plant and the fungus bit came off. However, the other bit that was sticking out was definitely coming from inside her. Was it a prolapse of some sort?

I decided to euthanize her this morning. I have subjected her to almost 2 months of treatments, and I just couldn't stand seeing her suffer anymore. Her fins were clamped, she was listless, not eating and this protrusion from inside her....

Here are the photos of her last swim and what the protrusion looked like close up after I euthanized her. It is definitely firmly attached to her and a part of her body.

Attachments

• IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 18
Sorry for your loss :(

Yeah the bit sticking out her butt is part of her intestine. She had a few issues, the poor thing. Unfortunately that's fish keeping in this day and age with inbred fish and sick fish coming from Asian fish farms. Hopefully your other fish will be ok and everything settles down now.

Thank you! I appreciate your advice so much, and unfortunately, I had run out of options for that platy. Yes, I had figured that it was a part of her intestine. I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore. The other platy is still going. I wasn't so sure about her yesterday, but today, she's looking better again. It looks like the levamisole really took it out of them. Perhaps it's addressing the actual issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 11 tanks, some 125 G & have never used any medication. But I’ve seen them on Amazon. Can you order from there should the need arise?

Have you never had a sick fish in any of your 11 tanks or do you only treat with heat and salt?

I have never had a symptomatic sick fish. But I am new to fish keeping, about 1.5 years. I did have a few suddenly die, all were new purchases, more from big chain stores, but a few from the LFS. I am told they arrive sedated in tinted water and over crowded. They looked good at the shops, looked good here & died overnight.

I did have a new large peacock that wasn’t eating, at least never in my presence at the beginning, for several weeks. I separated him & tempted this guy with every delicacy imaginable, including feeder fish, which I hated to do. He displayed no other signs of poor health. It was suggested I use the medication MetroPlex, add salt or increase the temperature. I did nothing, fearing the “cure” for an unknown condition would make things worse. This fish looked good.

He continued not to eat when isolated for weeks, but suddenly went for pellets which had been previously offered, along with a wide assortment of food. This fish avoids avoids daylight, hides in plants & did not appear to be happy in a tank with numerous African cichlids, including some of his own type. Possibly he was a secret nocturnal eater????

Sometimes I wonder if people have more trouble with the smaller fish than larger ones, but I don’t know. I do large weekly water changes and keep the filters clean, but not so clean as to compromise the essential BB population.

Back
Top Bottom