Hello! Happy to be here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meowza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good Morning! I am somewhat new to the hobby. I have had 2 betta for the last 2 years and have learned quite a bit. One is a year and a half and the other is a baby, he's new. i had a goldfish in that 3 gallon for a month, but now it i occupied by the baby betta. They are each in 3 gallon tanks. I recently invested in a 40 gallon tank for my goldfish and I planned to get him a tank mate. I decided to do a fish-in cycle on the new tank.

I moved my goldfish to the new tank and he was really excited. About 4 days later, one morning I fed him flakes and he started eating and I left for work. Since he grazes a lot, I figured he'd get to the ones i didn't stay to see him eat. When I got home, he hadn't eaten all his flakes. I scooped them out. Every morning, I monitored the tank cycle which I kick started with Stability. The next day, I fed him and he didn't eat. I scooped out the food. I went after work to get him a new tank partner. I got another fantail. After a 2 hour acclimation, they were swimming together and seemed quite happy.

The next day, neither goldfish were eating. The new fish who had eaten flakes the night before was spitting them out. I tested the water and had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 ppm nitrate. The ph was 7.6. Water temp 68. I tried giving a shelled pea, no one wanted it.

I took a video and a water sample to my local aquarium store where I purchase my fish. Two of the employees looked at my video, tested the water and determined that everything looked normal.

One of them said that since they cannot determine what is wrong on the outside, it must be an internal parasite. I was hesitant because I thought it was just constipation. But, he sold me API General Cure and told me to dose the tank per 40 gallons.

I came home, dosed the tank, and in 10 mins, my original goldfish was dead. I saw him nose diving and took him out and put him in an emergency tank, but it was too late. It was awful. I was so upset.

My new fish has not been eating. It has been now 11 days. I've been doing 30% PWC for the last 4 days as the ammonia and nitrite readings are at .25 ppm each. I try to feed him, but he's not interested and in the last day, he's just sitting in the bottom of the tank, in the same spot, not eating. I did wake up in the middle of the night and saw that he was swimming a little. But, he's back to his spot. I'm going to keep doing the PWC until I get the ammonia and nitrite to 0. I'm using Seachem Prime with every water change and I've added 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt every other water change.

I really want this fish to pull through. I assume it is the ammonia, but I also think he's stressed. Any suggestions??

Too much of a shock for your older fish. Going from a smaller tank that was cycled to an uncycled tank will stress fish out. If you have filters on the other little tanks take the cartridges or sponges(What ever you have) out and dunk them in the new tank filter. It will help a little with the cycling.then just put the old cartridges back in the little tanks filters.

Back
Top Bottom