Hello, new to plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tylermakin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Lately I have been playing with some lighting options and would apprecieate your opinions. I made a custom hood in which I am running 2xT12 20w 6500k 24" bulbs over the very center of the tank, and on the sides I tucked in 4x 13w cfl 6500k
The light from the 4x cfl really seems to help overlap the center where there is a lack of light compared to the cfl. I'm getting a total of 96w

Wich gives me almost 2.5 wpg on my 38g tank. My lights are situated directly ontop of a glass top, it's about 18" between gravel and lights.

I ordered a co2 system and that should arrive next week,

So with 2.5 wpg - co2 and dirted tank and ferts.

Can I possibly grow high light plants like dwarf hair grass?

The short answer is maybe. Spiral CFLs are very inefficient for what we use them for, by design, so if you have room consider upgrading the wattage at some point if you need more oomph.

Using WPG is a crap shoot in general, and especially when dealing with this kind of lights.

Since you already have everything setup, I'd just try different things and see what works

It's hard to say. It's likely that you are still in low light territory, but I've never tried that combination so I can't say for sure. I'd definitely throw some plants in there and see how they do, and then act accordingly if it's not enough light.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom