Hello new to the community. Fairly new to salt went from a six to a 90 gallon local c

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snufalufegus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello new to the community. Fairly new to salt went from a six to a 90 gallon...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419791848.544864.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419791872.116611.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419791894.549851.jpg
Oops tittle to long. It s a new 90 gal corner flow with a eshopps sump, jeboa 9000 pump, current marine LEDs, protein skimmer coming soon. It's a local tank with water and fish from gulf I live five minutes away and thought it would be fun for me and my 13 yr old son to collect local critters. Just filled Christmas morning. Have 3 blennies and some crabs and one pistol shrimp. Dry rock and one piece of live from a friends salt water canal. Sand is about 80 pounds of washed play sand. Fish are doing great and eating marine flake food so so far so good. More critters to come just have to catch em:) ( I know I'm not aloud to collect live rock that one piece came from my friends rip rap along his sea wall)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used water straight from the gulf worked for the six gal working so far for this. Fish are happy and starting to beg for food so I'm guessing they are happy.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your tank is going to go through a cycle so you'll want to monitor the params so you don't kill the livestock. Water collected from near shore is usually not a good idea as it usually contains the highest number of pollutants.

Hello new to the community. Fairly new to salt went from a six to a 90 gallon...

The Params are still good I read a lot about the cycling process and is pretty sure I really won't go though one with using mother natures ready made cycled water. I swim in the same water I used for tank and I collected the fish from so not really afraid about pollutants. Not going to do corals just fish and some crabs. Most of the fish we are going to collect go though a pretty dramatic swing in salinity with the amount of rain we can get in a short amount time so I think they will be pretty hardy when it comes to that and I won't get water for my changes after a rain storm. Still going to keep 6 gal as a quarantine tank for new additions. going to wait for a few weeks before adding more if any right now. Didn't want to add the three I have but my son and his friend cought them and I know I need a source of ammonia to keep bacteria going so in they went along with the crabs and shrimp from his six gallon. We had his six gallon running for about 8 months with 2 small bait fish and a couple of gorilla or teddy bear crabs and the one piece of live rock with no problems at all. Bio load is my biggest problem I'm going to have kid wants to keep everything. He really wants a porcupine puffer but I know our tank is to small.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Water isn't "cycled", the bacteria we rely on isn't in the water, it's in the rocks and sand. Highly recommend to re-read that research, and start looking up fish in cycling.
And your analogies about the water not being polluted don't apply to a glass box where levels can build over time.

Back
Top Bottom