HELP!! Beloved fish in trouble.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone. For the past few days my full grown parrot fish has been floating up on top of the tank. Sorta mouth up breathing water/air
No other fish seems to be doing this.
Parameters look great
Ehiem pro 3 filter
Good aeration
I tapped her mouth and she swam down in the tank but then floated back up without control. So I'm not sure what is going on please help. At first I thought it was a stress related issue because she got stuck on some driftwood recently. But I took her out with no damage. But then after looking at her I don't think it was that. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Try and post a pic, might help. Could be many reasons, could be swim bladder issue. Did you check if its eating? If its due to constipation, avoid feeding it for a couple of days[3]. A little more of the symptoms and behavior with a pic may help the members resolve the issue. You could move it to a quarantine tank till the cause is established

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408371673.171943.jpg

Last night she was up. Now she is down on the ground. Please help

She is changing positions along the aquarium. Can anyone diagnose this. I'm going for a salt bath

Seems like fish constipation. Avoid feeding it for at least 2-3 days and see if you get it to eat blanched, skinned peas. First move it to quarantine.
I always skip feeds once in a while and feed them them green peas every Sunday.

The experts may opine differently.

Epsom salt bath maybe, and every one feeds the inside of blanched peas, you take off the outer shell of the pea and there are two smaller parts mainly, to relieve constipation.

Water parameters are good or did you check them? Sometimes a weakened fish can become ill, like from being stressed out getting caught on the DW, and water parameters which don't seem to be a problem for the other fish can cause problems with the weakened one.

Epsom salt bath maybe, and every one feeds the inside of blanched peas, you take off the outer shell of the pea and there are two smaller parts mainly, to relieve constipation.

Water parameters are good or did you check them? Sometimes a weakened fish can become ill, like from being stressed out getting caught on the DW, and water parameters which don't seem to be a problem for the other fish can cause problems with the weakened one.

I did a salt bath, and am now treating with broad spectrum antibiotics. Still on the bottom, but not laying anymore.

Seems like fish constipation. Avoid feeding it for at least 2-3 days and see if you get it to eat blanched, skinned peas. First move it to quarantine.
I always skip feeds once in a while and feed them them green peas every Sunday.

The experts may opine differently.

Won't eat peas.

I don't know that much about the Cichlids you have so I would defer to others knowledge, but I have previously used dissolved epsom salt in the WHOLE tank and eventually it is eliminated by pwc over time.

Anyone else have a comment for that? Not sure about any issues with it and your treatment meds.

I don't know that much about the Cichlids you have so I would defer to others knowledge, but I have previously used dissolved epsom salt in the WHOLE tank and eventually it is eliminated by pwc over time.

Anyone else have a comment for that? Not sure about any issues with it and your treatment meds.

I done that as well. For now I am just waiting and watching.

Is it okay that my temp is at 90? I brought it up to try to kill the parasite.

Sometimes fish just drop off. I've never had a fish recover after it begins to gasp at the surface. Hope ur luck is different:-(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sometimes fish just drop off. I've never had a fish recover after it begins to gasp at the surface. Hope ur luck is different:-(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Actually she went from laying down yesterday. To swimming around today. That was after all the treatments. But then I noticed something. Since 2 weeks ago she got caught in some driftwood one of her gills opens more than the other. The one that opens more got caught in the driftwood and also it looks a bit tattered on the inside. Maybe I'm just imagining things though. I just raised the temp to 86 again. And then will bring it up to 90. I also did another round of antibiotics as well as more Epsom salt.

Actually she went from laying down yesterday. To swimming around today. That was after all the treatments. But then I noticed something. Since 2 weeks ago she got caught in some driftwood one of her gills opens more than the other. The one that opens more got caught in the driftwood and also it looks a bit tattered on the inside. Maybe I'm just imagining things though. I just raised the temp to 86 again. And then will bring it up to 90. I also did another round of antibiotics as well as more Epsom salt.

Was she better at the lower temp? I'm missing why you are going to 86 and 90 sounds high?

Was she better at the lower temp? I'm missing why you are going to 86 and 90 sounds high?

I read that at higher temps it will kill the parasite. I keep the tank at 80 regularly.

I read that at higher temps it will kill the parasite. I keep the tank at 80 regularly.

Sorry still a little lost but late here. Are thinking ich in the gills or something? In which 86F would do it. I've noticed taking temps up to that can be stressful even though it is a few degrees. Did the fish have problems before lifting temp? Was that the damaged gills?

Sorry still a little lost but late here. Are thinking ich in the gills or something? In which 86F would do it. I've noticed taking temps up to that can be stressful even though it is a few degrees. Did the fish have problems before lifting temp? Was that the damaged gills?

Yeah it was before lifting the temp. I am stopping the antibiotics treatment today even though it says 4 doses. Unfortunately that would cost me another 60$. So since she is swimming around. I am going to continue with Epsom salt and high temp. Unless that's too high. I don't think it's ick though. Symptoms of swim bladder.

Did she just get caught on the driftwood or was she flashing on the driftwood? I don't see the need to lift temp imo unless it is something like ich that will die off at 86F. I'm not sure for other parasites. If you do lift temp, I would also increase aeration.

Back
Top Bottom