Help! Broken crossbar!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orlon11

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a used 55 and was just testing it for leaks. I just looked at it, and the crossbar in the middle broke! Should I empty it out until I find a way to fix it? Is it damaging the tank to have it full with no crossbar?

The crossbars are needed now to keep the glass from bowing since they use thinner glass nowadays. Your lfs should be able to order you a new one you'll just have to make the appropriate measurements to know which one will fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could I fix it by supergluing a metal plate to the centre brace? Or maybe by siliconing in a piece of glass across the middle? I don't really want to have to replace the entire top frame.

You can fix it diy style, I'd look into a good marine grade epoxy and a piece of lexan or acrylic from a home goods store.. you could also order a new trim online, gillie is correct in that replacing the entries trim would be the best course.. it's pretty simple

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think you can diy a piece of plexiglass that will grab both sides of the tank to keep it from bowing out and possibly exploding once filled with water.

I LOVE buying big tanks with broken cross bars because I usually get them super cheap. I have Canopys on all my tanks so I can get real DIYish!! I just take a 2x4 and lay it over the tank, pencil line the outside mark, cut into the 2x4 on each side an cut out the middle. Now it clamps to either side of the tank!! I've never had an issue and it's basically free with the amount of wood I hve at my house..... If non of that makes sense I can take a picture of some when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The only problem with that is, tanks vary a little with different manufacturers, so what fits one tank won't necessarily fit another.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is true but its a starting point. If the op can figure out the manufacturer they might sell them or at least be able to tell them the spec's on the glass and find one somewhere.

This is true but its a starting point. If the op can figure out the manufacturer they might sell them or at least be able to tell them the spec's on the glass and find one somewhere.

For a proper fit the outside dimensions and the thickness off the glass have to be measured, that is the best starting point.
I believe some of the larger rimless tanks have a glass center brace held in with heavy duty aquarium silicone, but I would research that first.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom