Help completing my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianJR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my tank for over a month now, and things are going great...even after an initial bout of ick. I've being thinking about how I want to finish stocking the tank (15gal), and I would appreciate some suggestions. I have two cardinal tetras and two cherry barbs, and I would like to get one more type of fish to act as the centrepiece.

It would be nice if it was medium sized (2-4in), preferred the upper water column and was relatively active during the day. My first thoughts were to get a pair of angels, but I'm not sure if I like them or not. Anyone have any other suggestions?

what size is your tank? tetras and cherry barbs both do well in schools of 6 or more... but if you have a small tank i would have at least 3 of each.
Medium sized fish- Dwarf Gouramis are great and they like to go to the tope becuase they breath air from the surface with their labrynth organ.

I think betta's are a good centrepeice.

Bright and elegant and the ones ive seen all stay at the top. Mine likes to think he's boss so drifts about at all areas.

Ha! the second a loach gives him a look he's long gone!

Sorry, forgot to mention the tank is a 15gal.

I guess another option I have is to increase the number of tetras to get a school instead of getting another type of fish. Hmmm, choices. :)

i think in a 15 gallon you have enough room to increas your tetras to a school of 5 and your cherry barbs to a school of 5. OR you could take out the cherry barbs , up the school of tetras and get a centerpiece fish.

Thanks Ashley...some of the Dwarf Gouramislook really nice. I'll check them out at the lfs and see if I like them. Maybe I'll get another tetra and barb too just to round out their numbers at three each.

I hadn't thought about bettas...I thought they were very aggressive? Would bettas be alright with my tetras and barbs?

i would really ... if i was you.. the tetras or barbs would thrive better if you just picked one but they will do ok at 3 each.
Don't know ifyou want to put a betta with its long flowing fins in with barbs.. even though cherry barbs are less nippy, you don't have a very big school and i just don't think they could resist the long flowing fins of a betta.
I think dwarf gouram is a good choice for you.

i agree that barbs will nip at the betta. personally i'd get rid of the barbs, up the tetras to 6 and get a gourami. but that's just me :)

Back
Top Bottom