Help cycling 5.5 gallon Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCC93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started fishless cycling a betta tank last week using Safe Start Plus to jump start and ammonia dropped from 4.0 ppm to 1.0 - 0.5 ppm in 5 days but then rose on its own to ~2.0 ppm (I think this may be due to 2 dead Amazon Sword leaves which have since been removed). It's been at ~2.0 ppm at least the past 2 days with no signs of dropping. I'm a little nervous something has happened to the cycle.

I need to have it cycled by the end of the month because I'm going away for 10 days and won't be able to monitor the levels. If the cycle fails should I try fishless cycling again or try fish-in with 1 betta? Not sure how bad fish-in with one fish would be but I'd prefer not to put it through stressful water conditions.

But could the bacteria run out of ammonia while I'm gone and die off? I also have a 2 and 4 year old who don't understand why we can't get a fish for our empty tank so I'm trying to get it completed as quickly as possible. I've heard some stories of people having tons of trouble fishless cycling (and using bottled bacteria) so I'm hoping I can get it right on the first try.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom