Help feeding my pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esasko

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys! So my pleco seems to show little interest in algae wafers and my other fish (3 red glass barbs) aggressively go after ANYTHING I put in there so he doesn't really get a chance to get it anyway. I've tried night feeding, distraction, hiding places, they always find it and won't stop eating it for anything. My tank doesn't really have much natural algae growth yet. I was wondering if I dissolve an algae wafer in the water every few days/once a week that it will settle and build on the rocks, substrate, and pre-filter for him to eat or will it just cloud my water and turn my filter to sludge? Currently when I try it the water is full of particles for about 30 minutes then it returns to pretty clear.. My bamboo shrimp loves this as he's a filter feeder and my pleco starts sucking the glass and sifting through the substrate. Is this bad for my tank/filter or is this a good idea to ensure my pleco has something to eat?

10 gal tank,lightly planted, 3 red glass barbs, one bamboo shrimp, 1 bristle nose pleco.

Hey guys! So my pleco seems to show little interest in algae wafers and my other fish (3 red glass barbs) aggressively go after ANYTHING I put in there so he doesn't really get a chance to get it anyway. I've tried night feeding, distraction, hiding places, they always find it and won't stop eating it for anything. My tank doesn't really have much natural algae growth yet. I was wondering if I dissolve an algae wafer in the water every few days/once a week that it will settle and build on the rocks, substrate, and pre-filter for him to eat or will it just cloud my water and turn my filter to sludge? Currently when I try it the water is full of particles for about 30 minutes then it returns to pretty clear.. My bamboo shrimp loves this as he's a filter feeder and my pleco starts sucking the glass and sifting through the substrate. Is this bad for my tank/filter or is this a good idea to ensure my pleco has something to eat?

10 gal tank,lightly planted, 3 red glass barbs, one bamboo shrimp, 1 bristle nose pleco.

Cut up pieces of cucumber that are about 1/4 to 1/2 in in width... One a week and your Pleco will chow... I don't think that the barbs will do anything... My convicts sure wouldn't touch it. Hope that helps!

My Pleco loves cucumber, hel take down an inch chunk in a day, zucchini works great too. I feed him Pleco tabs too they're not like the wafers, hel sit and suck on them like a boiled sweet.

Back
Top Bottom