Help, Fin Rot!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dolphineducator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help. I have a couple of fish that have fin rot. I know it's usually due to stress from poor water quality but my levels are good. I have a 50 gal saltwater tank with live rock i collected from the ocean (i live in Hawaii) I have a maroon clownfish that first showed signs, a pajama cardinal that has it bad now, a madarin goby who has it a little, a baby toby who is fine and a baby panther grouper who is the lastest addition to the tank and doesn't have signs. I also have a baby snowflake eel and a banded coral shrimp. I don't want to move any of the fish because quite a few have it. Is there anything i can use to fix the promblem in the main tank. Melafix? The levels are PH=8.0, ammonia=0 nitrate=.03. Please give me some advice. The pajama cardinal is looking really bad.

erm, how about stressed because they dont have room enough to even turn around. That is a small tank for that number of fish. Fish that get large. They cannot establish territories. They cannot do anything that would come naturally to them. Next, they will predate on each other. You have some aggressive fish that will start taking its tankmates out. Remove some of the fish IS the answer in this case.

I have to agree with Lisa. I apparently did not see the tank size. Now that Lisa points that out I must agree. Way too much bioload in that tank.

Just the panther grouper is WAY to large for a 50 and soon!

And the shrimp is dust soon with those tank mates.

The fish seem to move around fine. They swim and each have an area they hang out in. The fin rot is not getting worse. I'm doing water changes. The panther grouper is a baby. I know they get big but the other fish and shrimp are bigger than him. How many fish should go in a 50 gal?

A panther grouper can get to be close to 2 feet and need about a 300 G tank. If you keep him in your tank, if he makes it, you won't have to worry about having any other fish or inverts in your tank.....
You may want to rethink your critter's selection.

Back
Top Bottom