Help! Fish attacking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jk315

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added two german blue rams to my tank that already have 5 serpai tetra in it, and the tetra are fin nipping the rams. The rams are hiding now but if a tetra spots it, it will go up behind it and try to nip its fins. Is this normal? I'm not sure what I should do, nobody at any fish/pet store around here can give me any advice. Thanks

This is very common because they are the new kids on the block. Also, if you have a dominant male he won't risk his throne, so he will show the new fish who he is as soon as he sees them.

Do you have a spare tank to put the aggressors for a couple weeks to calm them down?

Adding more fish to divide the aggression is another option, usually done with African cichlids.

I'm facing the same problems with my Nimbochromis Venustus, who is attacking everyone and about 4 of my other 8 fish are hiding in the same corner. Let's just say the Venustus has 80% of the tank for himself.

I wish I could be of more help.

I don't have a spare tank but I was thinking of buying one of those tank dividers, you think that would work as well? Thanks for your help

Serpaes are notorious fin nippers. Hopefully, the nipping dies down in time though. One thing you can try is to turn off the lights, wait until the fish are "asleep" and re-arrange all the plants/decor. That way, the serpaes won't feel like they are defending their territory.
Another option, would be to add another serpae or too. Sometimes fin nippers abate their bad behavior when kept in larger same-species groups.
Try the re-arranging thing first though.

It's a 36 gallon tank. I'm going to try rearranging the tank and see if that helps. Thanks

If you are willing to put a tank divider that's another option, but like absolut said, rearranging is a good option to try first.

add more serpae tetras. Five is almost enough, and with enough they'll typically only focus on themselves, and the rams will remain ignored.

Back
Top Bottom