Help Getting Eggs to Hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tikkinikhil

Aquarium Advice Newbie
plzzzz help me in breeding my jewel eggs the haved laied atlest 20 times but all the times it has been eaten by the parents i want them to hatch help plzzzzzzzzzzzzz

hello, i think it would help people give you better replies and suggestions if you describe a little more about your tank scenerio. like for example, how many fish do you have in it, how big your tank is, etc.

but for me, i have bred jewel cichlids only twice a few years back then. but i can share a little bit about my own experience and see if that maybe help you out a little.

u see the eggs laid, its best you remove the eggs, instead of the adult. i like to move rock with the eggs on it, instead of moving the adult because you can place it in a bare 10 gallon tank, and only fill it up with 50% of the old tank water and add 50% new water to it, to limit bacteria. plus its easier to take care of the fry and easier to clean a bare tank. Usually for jewels, at least with mine, they laid their eggs on a flat rock, or at least on the side of a wide rock. if that is the case, just remove their entire rock and place it in a 10 gallon, bare tank. place an air stone next to the eggs, and and airline on the other side of the tank to create more water movement and keep aeration flowing through the eggs. i like to use a small air stone next to the eggs because it creates oxygen but won't disturb the eggs too much, while placing an airline on the other side of the tank without an airstone, creates bigger bubbles, causing more movement but it'll be far away enough that it won't push the eggs around off the rock. try not to make too big of a current for that make damage the eggs.
I find that egg layer's eggs, don't fungus as easily as mouth brooders, but it will help if you put a few drop of mythelene blue in the tank with the eggs(might be incorrect spelling). make sure you read the directions though, too much will also kill your eggs.

if your temperature is lower than 80, turning ur heater to 80-82 degree F will help increase the hatching of your eggs. also be sure to keep a close look on your eggs, and as soon as one starts to turn white, remove it immediate, since all the eggs are batched together, the fungus will spread pretty fast. fungus will occur from the time they eggs are laid all the way to even when the eggs develops. you can breathe easier when the fry are free swimming. when your eggs gets to that part, then it'll be a whole different thread but for now, from my own experience, thats what id suggest.

i hope that helps, but if you have further questions be sure to ask, im sure theres plenty of more experience breeder that should be able to answer more of your questions. * remember to provide details so you may be helpede better :D

put all the egs in a different tank have them around 80 degrees F or put lots of structure in tank to make eggs harder to find.

Back
Top Bottom