Help golden brown algae? invasion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Overstocker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have 75gal drilled tank with the following parameters:

wet dry filter with bio balls
nautilus TE skimmer
30lbs of live sand
20lbs of live rock
15lbs of base rock
ph: 8.2
ammonia .25
nitrite .5
nitrate 0

The tank has been up 3 weeks and had a bit of ammonia and dropped after the first week now it is cruising back up again.

My tank has a bloom of some sort of algae? It is a goldish brown color and is all over everything: sand, base rock, ornamental do dads, glass, overflow box.... and is getting worse by the second!

Is this just a bloom and will go away with the cycle or is it a bad indicator of things to come! The darn Aiptasia stuff seems to be growing great to... 8O

Forgot, also have a mag 350 with GAC only in the tank and a bag of Phosgaurd because I use tap water to fill the tank....

Golden Brown stuff is diatoms. Your use of tap water is probably contributing, and use RO water would probably improve things.. Over time, it will subside. It could take months. With continued use of tap water, you may never get rid of it.

As someone else replied, it sounds like the brown stuff is diatoms. I had it also at about the 3 week period. I guess they come up towards the end of the cycle. At 5 weeks now almost all of this stuff is gone, not sure if the snails ate it or if it just went away.

Back
Top Bottom