help! gravel vac!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chelseachuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
well i just had one of the worst experiences with the gravel vac. it took me forever to get it started then once i got it started water started pouring into the bucket. bucket got to heavy and spilled all over my kitchen floor! someone please help!

hahaha it was so bad. how do you even get them started? i got it to start but by that time i had to stop because the bucket was gonna over flow!

Chelseachuy said:
hahaha it was so bad. how do you even get them started? i got it to start but by that time i had to stop because the bucket was gonna over flow!

I just suck on the other end of the hose for a second to create suction and when the bucket is almost full, I pull up the vacuum out of the water.

I would look to purchase a Python water change system to prevent that from happening again. No more buckets or dumping water, it's the best thing I've ever purchased when it comes to aquarium maintenance.

I recommend buying a big laundry container with handles. You can even get a flat bed wheeley thing from Home depot (small one with a handle and four wheels to put the laundry container on and THEN you use the gravel vac. I did the same thing with my first BIG HOSE vac and found myself enjoying the process so much I didn't realize I'd flooded my room. Oops. LOL. You can then wheel that sucker into your bathroom and dump it OR you buy yourself a python. Grin. I don't have one yet but I sure do want one.

HUKIT said:
I would look to purchase a Python water change system to prevent that from happening again. No more buckets or dumping water, it's the best thing I've ever purchased when it comes to aquarium maintenance.

Agree. Doing a PWC with a python is a breeze. I still use a gravel vac though at the same time to drain water faster. It takes a while to drain bigger tanks using a python and I don't have the patience. Lol.

You hook up a python to your faucet and there is a valve(?) that you twist to choose if you want to drain or add water to your tank. If you want to drain, make sure it's on "drain" you put the other end of the python that looks like a gravel vacuum in the tank and turn on the faucet until you create a suction then you can turn off the faucet and the python will keep on draining. For adding water back to your tank, you make sure that the water from the faucet is the same temp as your tank and then switch the valve to "fill" and the water will flow in your tank from the faucet. You add the water conditioner n the beginning of filling.

The other involves cursing, water spilling and a whole lot of trips back and forth to the bathroom - including dozen towels. Grin. The cursing occurs when you accidentally fill your first aquarium bucket (which is usually too small) and it goes over the edge and suddenly - Niagara falls!

I am curious though - I've seen they make a Marina 50' version, Aqueon, and the Python. Does anyone have any experience with the Marina? I noticed it includes a metal valve instead of a plastic one. I was curious if that makes it easier or better?

Mine you put in the water and shake it like a shake weight and starts it self because it has a valve. I think its the one made by lees its the most common one sold at petco

i have the marina vac cleaner. its the basic one though from petsmart it was only 15$ ... it was really fun while i was doing i wish i could of did more! but i need to invest in a way bigger bucket!!!! mine is deff to small!

Until you can get the python....

Get a second bucket to move the hose to while you empty the first one...

I love my python (finally got it after years of hard work) but I still use the gravel vac and buckets for water removal for two reasons.

First, the gravel vac removes the water faster.

Second, I'm on a septic system and don't need all that extra water in my home system.

how does everyone feel about shrimp or snails? i heard they are like scavengers i could use something like that in my tank! that will deff help out with removing uneaten food

The best defense against uneaten food is to feed your fish less.

But what kind of setup do you have? Size of tank, water params, types of fish, plants?

That's what we need to know before anyone can tell you what kinds, if any, are appropriate for your tank.

With that said, I adore shrimp and most snails!

Chelseachuy said:
well i just had one of the worst experiences with the gravel vac. it took me forever to get it started then once i got it started water started pouring into the bucket. bucket got to heavy and spilled all over my kitchen floor! someone please help!

jetajockey said:
I'd bring a towel but I think by the time I get there it'll be dry :(

:ROFLMAO: :lol:

Hmm, with two sets of Rams in the tank, I really wouldn't add any more fish except three or more corys of the same kind you already have.

Corys are shoaling fish and will thrive better if they can school together.

Rams are nice, but might get territorial if they decide to mate.

Do you know what genders you have?

Back
Top Bottom