HELP! Gregory has ich!!!! D:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Gregory is my Ryukin goldfish, I've had my tank for 4 going on 5 months and I added a new fish two weeks ago (a clown pleco) but yesterday morning I fed them and Gregory had white dots all on his tail, and dorsal fin. I went to the petstore and bought ich guard from the brand tetra, it instructed me to drop the bubbling tablet into his tank and check within 24 hours to see if his ich is gone (which it's not) I put half the tablet yesterday (because it was for 10 gal I have a 5.5 gal tank) it said if the ich didn't clear to repeat the treatment after doing a 25% water change which I just did. I hope he gets better I can't stand to see him like that :/ any advice if this treatment doesn't cure his ailment?

You don't really need meds to treat it just raise the temp to 85-86 leave it there for one week after the last spot is gone and vacuum gravel every other day

As long as the temp is raised slowly over a period of a day no more than a degree or two every couple of hours it's fine. With the temp being raised you need to ether put an air stone in or drop the water level 1-2 inched so that that water from the filter has a water fall effect so that there will be more oxygen in the water

Hm alright ill give that a try as for raising the temp I'm not quiet sure how to raise it up slowly I have an under gravel heater that I don't use because he's a goldfish and water stays pretty cool with them

Sounds like u have a bit of white spot. raise the temp slightly and treat with some white spot lotion, remove any carbon u have in your filter as it will defeat the object.

This should clear it up within a week.

Every time I add fish to my aquarium I always put in a touch of white spot fluid to prevent this due to the stress the fish receives from the LPS to its destination. Hope u r fish will be Ok n keep us updated :)

Raise the tank temp and add some aquarium salt it's readily available at petsmart and petco I find it the best way to treat ich cause u don't have to remove your carbon filters

What the salt do? I add aquarium salt but it acts as a ph buffer, anti stress and supportive for treatments ur fish require. Am I mistaken for this not being white spot. Pretty sure carbon will needed to be removed when treating white spot it clearly state so.

Sorry miss read that's new to me sound pretty dam good I shall look into it :)

Sorry again the salt is only a supportive measure it will not cure this problem

Hm I see I'm just glad he's not clamping his fins and acting lethargic he's acting normal besides his spots the pleco shows no signs of them! Maybe the stress of adding a new fish? Gregory doesn't seem to like how territorial the pleco is over the barrel I gave him, he tends to poke around it like he used to not knowing it's housing a pleco XD I just hope this cures my Gregory, I've become very attached to him for some odd odd reason

Do NOT raise your temp past 80f- you will cook your goldfish. Raising the temp to 86-88f ONLY works for tropicals. For coldwater fish such as goldies, it causes severe thermal stress and will sicken or kill them. 0.3% salinity will treat AND cure ich in goldfish but you can not use this level of salt with a scaleless fish such as a pleco or loach.

You should return your new fish promptly unless you plan on another tank. Unfortunately, the goldie needs to be in a much bigger tank asap- 5g is honestly too small for much else than a betta or some shrimp/snails. The absolute minimum for a single goldie is 20g. Please read the link below as well- it covers most aspects of goldfish care. Please ask if you have any questions or you need help with treating using 0.3% salinity- its very easy.

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

It's most likely to be the stress of adding a new fish. Does sound like a case of white spot so just try what I put n I'm sure ur will find ur Greg will be fine :)

Thank you! I knew something was strage about raising the temp because goldfish have a very cold atmosphere so 80+ seemed off, he's usually in 73-75 degree water (I have a bad habit of always wanting the tank light on) I see. I have an empty 60 gallon tank which I was planning on moving him to within this year (I don't have a top, light or my heavy duty filter for it anymore)

What the salt do? I add aquarium salt but it acts as a ph buffer, anti stress and supportive for treatments ur fish require. Am I mistaken for this not being white spot. Pretty sure carbon will needed to be removed when treating white spot it clearly state so.

Aq salt is not a ph buffer. Nor is it an 'anti-stress' agent. For most fw fish, its actually a source of stress and long term use, especially with goldies, will result in nephric & metabolic damage among a host of other issues. Its a medicine and should be respected as one.

Thank you! I knew something was strage about raising the temp because goldfish have a very cold atmosphere so 80+ seemed off, he's usually in 73-75 degree water (I have a bad habit of always wanting the tank light on) I see. I have an empty 60 gallon tank which I was planning on moving him to within this year (I don't have a top, light or my heavy duty filter for it anymore)

A top isnt necessary. All of my tanks are open (much to my cats dismay...). The light is pretty just for you unless you plan on plants. A filter though is a must. I would work on getting Greg moved as soon as you can possibly manage. Please ask if you have questions! :)

Aqualibrium salt I think u find is exactly what I put. As I use this my self and has found it does exactly what it says. I'm not sure of other salts just my knowledge on the experience I have so if u can explain further in detail would be great I love to learn. Didn't know treatment for cold n tropical vary.

Observe your sick goldfish and take note of its odd behavior or appearance. Once you identify that your goldfish has ich, you can begin treating the goldfish for ich. If possible, slowly raise the goldfish tank water temporarily to 75-80*F. This encourages the parasites to speed up its life cycle and burst out of the goldfish and fall to the bottom of the tank. It is only in this stage, the free swimming 'swarmer' stage that you can cure ich on goldfish. 2 Remove any living aquatic plants since the treatment can damage them. 3 Preform a 25% water change while making sure all the tank water parameters are ideal. (test: pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels). At a 03% concentration, add an aquarium salt solution at one teaspoon per gallon of fish tank water. Aquarium salt is sold at most local pet stores. 4 Repeat the last step every twelve hours for a total of three doses of aquarium salt. (A total of 24 hours.) 5 Allow the salt to stay in the goldfish tank for two weeks and then remove it by preforming a large 50-75% water change.

D: okay let's not stress him out XD Im being told many different things, I observe him ALOT so as soon as I noticed the white spots I looked it up then went off to the pet store asking for second opinions and we have confirmed it is ich.

Back
Top Bottom