!!!HELP!!! How fast can you make SW?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ugh! My tape line on the tank is 4 of my water jugs ("5"g). My holding tank for mixing salt water holds 20g. Unfortunately... I think my water jugs hold more like 6 gallons of water. So... I've drained 24+/-g of water from my system and I only had 20g to replace it with!

What is the best course of action to get 4 more gallons of water into my system (120g)? I don't have any more SW mixed. I do have 30g of RO/DI at the ready.

Do I rush the salt mixture? Run without a pump?

My wet/dry which is also all of my circulation won't run without those 4g of water.

Thanks!

I would go ahead and mix the 4g and add it ASAP.... no problems... have had to do similar on my smaller 60g tank with no drawbacks...... get to it !!!!!!!! g'luck

for a while when i started out i would put the water in right after i mixed it, i dont any more but i never really saw and ill effects with my fowlr.

I honestly have never aged my SW at all. I probibly should let it sit, but I have never seen anything bad happen.

The Temp does dip a bit but thats about it.

One should age and airate it for 24 hrs, but in an emergency you gotta do what you gotta do.
When I was treating sick fish, I had to cheat a time or two and it worked out fine.

I ended up putting a large pot of RO/DI on the stove and brought it not quite to boiling. I turned it off and added my salt to it. After stirring it and dissolving as much as possible I added it to my mixing container. I put it in there and let it mix, and then used my heaters to bring it the rest of the way up to the temp in my main. I waited for a couple of hours while it mixed and went clear. Added it after that. Everyone/thing seems fine this morning. Turns out I needed closer to 10g of water. Whew. Thanks for your ideas and reassurances!

Back
Top Bottom