Help ID me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I realize that is fish does not have molly in it... i was just curious about other tank mates that guppies have mated with before...

my other male guppy, it seems like he will not leave my female platies alone.... my male swordtail is doing this too... but the swordtail is MUCH more aggressive with his tactics, he lunge at them (kind of like he is nipping at them) then he backs off, swims around, then follows one and does the same thing over again.... WHY? i feel bad for them :(

These male livebearers can be particularly aggressive and annoying towards females in the tank. They can even harass them to death if left unchecked. To quell aggression, people often suggest putting multiple females for each male, but I've seen even that doesn't help sometimes.

One thing that does help is lots of plants in the tank. I have lots of java moss in my guppy tanks and the females can get away from the males a little easier.

The males will try to mate with anything in the tank, I've even seen them try to mate with one another.

this is how my tank is currently arranged.. is this enough hiding spots or should i get some more plants in the tank ? whats a good way to arrange them? center them in the tank or back/sides, or one side...???

Attachments

• IMG_20111103_160533.jpg
    IMG_20111103_160533.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 60
rreekers said:
this is how my tank is currently arranged.. is this enough hiding spots or should i get some more plants in the tank ? whats a good way to arrange them? center them in the tank or back/sides, or one side...???

I would do some mid ground plants maybe a temple they have lots of leaves and grow thick and tall

rreekers said:
will they get enough light? i have 3 t8 bulbs... 2 reg bulbs and 1 floramax

I have some under 2xt8 and I can trim and replant every couple months now under t5 they grow like mad

How many watts and how tall is the tank?

each bulb is only 15w... so 45w total... and the tank is 26-28in deep (just over 2 feet) from water surface to substrate

Back
Top Bottom