Help ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, when I was recently moving some live rock, I noticed something shoot to another live rock, I only got a glimpse and it looked like it was redish/pinkish. It now stays under one of my live rock pieces and shoots sand out from under it. I only got this picture:
img_1152878_0_4ac746587a5e0ba6042d2598961fe4bf.jpg

Also, just up and left from where you've drawn the circle is a nasty looking little aiptasia. Just FYI, if you didn't notice it before.

Agree that the little beady eyes looking out from that rock look like a shrimp. Not sure what kind though...

That looks like a mantis shrimp to me. try putting a larger piece of shrimp right outside of it and see if it will come out for a better picture.
Mantis shrimp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Is there anything else in the tank? They are badddd news if you have one.

Good eyes! Yeap, that looks to be a mantis shrimp to me. Not to many creatures find their way into our tanks that have eyes like that.

Get ready for war!:eating:
Matt

Thanks for the replies, I have a pair of percula clowns, two blue tangs, two shrimp, some grabs and two sea urchins.. I will try to get a better picture but its rarley visible

Put a larger krill or shrimp in a skewer and dangle it out in front of him. Try looking at his hole after the lights go out as well. You can use a flashlight with a red filter of some kind, their eyes don't see as much red light.

Got it out.. now I have to think of what to do with it... thanks for the help guys

You guys were right, it was a baby mantis shrimp.. I heard a lot ticking and eventually found it again in a rock.. So now i have the whole rock with the little guy inside it in a smaller tank. Ill try to get a pic today but I still dont know what to do with it

See if your LFS would take it for credit on a future buy.

Depending on what type it is, they can sell for $50+. Always a welcome hitch hiker IMO, provided you can catch em before they do any damage. Some people even keep them in a species only tank, though personally they seriously creep me out. :p

Back
Top Bottom