Help ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadaas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, had this Malawi for a while, not sure what he/she is though, can anyone help ID please?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396627172.739736.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396627263.343926.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396627302.229224.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396626977.519235.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396626977.519235.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 92
Some have said caruleus, other kenyi, I'm not sure anymore. He's about 6cm

Definitely not Kenyi, or caeruleus. It looks like I light colored dragon blood, or strawberry Cichlid. I'm not sure exactly what it is though.

I don't think it looks anything like a strawberry cichlid or a dragon blood, to me anyway. Do you know the approximate age of this fish? I don't think it has egg spots, from what I can tell?

I don't think it looks anything like a strawberry cichlid or a dragon blood, to me anyway. Do you know the approximate age of this fish? I don't think it has egg spots, from what I can tell?

It's definitely not those fish, I was just stating some things that are semi similar, I have often found my fish by starting with googling similar ones, but looking at again, it's definitely not Aulonocara, my bad.

It's similar to a Kenyi I guess, but if it's a Kenyi it will have egg spots, and they have vertical bars as well. But that small it would still be blue as well.

It's definitely not those fish, I was just stating some things that are semi similar, I have often found my fish by starting with googling similar ones, but looking at again, it's definitely not Aulonocara, my bad.

Why must there be so many different kinds of cichlids? lol:whistle:

Just looks like a red zebra to me. It's orange color is very faint though so it could even be a red zebra x yellow lab hybrid.

My instinct says hybrid, and I agree with red zebra/yellow lab mix. Where did you acquire this fish?

Stressed red zebra?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys. Got him at my lfs about 1.5 years ago so I'd put him at about 2 years, suppose it's possible he's a hybrid. Last time I got fish from a shop and I guess this is part of the reason why I won't ever again. He has had egg spots before, but they've faded at the moment. He's never been blue like a juvenile kenyi which is why I tend to think he isn't, all in all I'm stumped by this one.

Since you mentioned egg spots, I'm think red zebra for sure. What could be causing the stress?

Yeah it looking pretty conclusive that it's a red zebra. Recently moved it in to a big malawi tank. Had pretty much a whole tank to itself for a year now got a whole bunch of competition.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom