Help ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikey5290

Aquarium Advice Activist
Found this critter in my 10g tank this morning
bug.jpg

Any ideas what it is? And should I be concerned about his presence?

Current stock is:
6 blue rilli shrimp
3 harlequin rasboras

plants:
hornwort
and frogbit

thanks for the help
Mike

It's some type of caddis fly larva. Have you added any new plants in the last couple of months?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's some type of caddis fly larva. Have you added any new plants in the last couple of months?

Yes
Both the hornwort from a LFS
and the frogbit from a local member of another aquarium group.

Are they harmful?

I am suprised I even found it as it looks just like the fine needle like leaves of the hornwort plant.

I am suprised I even found it as it looks just like the fine needle like leaves of the hornwort plant.

Hornwort commercially grown down south in ponds or large vats so that is most likely where your little friend came from.

They are harmless and unlike other caddis larvae, it's home isn't made of gravel or bits of wood so any fish big enough could have a snack.

Hornwort commercially grown down south in ponds or large vats so that is most likely where your little friend came from.

They are harmless and unlike other caddis larvae, it's home isn't made of gravel or bits of wood so any fish big enough could have a snack.

Well that's a relief.
My rasboaras are very small, but as long as they are no threat to the fish or shrimp I will just watch for more and remove.

Thank you for the help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom