Help identify fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

memeaquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you help me identify this fish? I two of them today for my 20 gallon tank. Care recommendations or anything I should know about them? They seem to be doing well! They are swimming by the filter and don’t seem to be interacting with others or the plants/ environment.

Attachments

• IMG_5490.jpg
    IMG_5490.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 70
Siamese algae eater they call them flying fox. That's y it's by ur filter. Pretty sure that's what it is.

Siamese algae eater they call them flying fox. That's y it's by ur filter. Pretty sure that's what it is.

Thank you so much! They are very slow swimmers and my glofish (danios) are starting fin nipping them... what should I do? They have always been kind of aggressive.

Any fish bigger then them will eat them. If u got another tank or maybe even a fish bowl (with some kinda lid) put them little guys in there. Or get a divider or make 1 yourself. Look up DIY dividers. There's lots of ideas there. U probably got something around the house to use. Just make sure what ever u use the water can flow through to be able to cycle. Them little guys get bigger. Not sure on size though. Dividers r an easy fix.

I concur with the Pencilfish identification (in this case, N. unifasciatus). IMG_4330.JPG I would either return them or remove (sell, give away, trade) the danios. Pencilfish do well with abundant plants and should be housed with other Nannostomus and smaller tetras.

I concur with the Pencilfish identification (in this case, N. unifasciatus). View attachment 304198 I would either return them or remove (sell, give away, trade) the danios. Pencilfish do well with abundant plants and should be housed with other Nannostomus and smaller tetras.

Thank you! I am now sure that it’s a Golden Pencilfish. I’m concerned about their diet. They are not eating the flakes.

Flying Fox's eat Green algae. algae wafers, algae based flakes, whiter worms. Oh yeah, they can get up to 6" and it there's more than 1 of them in a tank, they can get territorial.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom