Help Identifying Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agcorb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought 4 cichlids from petco under the recommendation from the clerk to add to my tank with my rainbow shark after having to move my gourami to another tank because he was attacking him. The clerk told me the rainbow shark should leave the cichlids alone, which he has been. I tried to look up my cichlids to read more about them but the pictures I see do not match the fish except for the Firemouth Cichlid I am sure is correct and I was wondering if anybody could tell me which ones I have? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421683196.726189.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421683233.810550.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421683266.177173.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421683284.164449.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421683303.643530.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They were sold to me as an Ovatus, Brichardi, and black belt. But I found differing pictures and I've read that there colors change greatly so I was wondering someone could just confirm what they are?

First photo is Neolamprologus brichardi, sometimes called a Lyretail or Fairy cichlid. It's a peaceful tanganyikan cichlid-- they like hard and alkaline water, so probably not ideal for a general community tank.

I'd agree with you on the second being a firemouth!

Second last looks looks like it could possibly be a juvenile peacock. Possibly red peacock? Either way, a Lake Malawi cichlid, who, again, prefers a higher pH.

Not quite sure about the last one, but it looks to be a South American cichlid at the very least. :)

Hope that's a little help!

The last pic of the large white with orange spot was the one labeled Ovatus at petco but every time I google that that is not the same fish I see

1. Brichardi (Africa Lake Tanganyka)
2. Firemouth (Central American)
3&4. Some Sort of peacock cichlids cant ID until colors come in possibly Ovatus (african lake Malawi)
5. Female Pink Convict (Central America)

What size tank do you have? Just because they are all cichlids doesn't mean they can go together. All different aggression levels and way of communicating. This group should be in at least a 40 breeder.

Central Americans are my favorite never owned bricardi but have always liked them. They may do ok with the central Americans but do better in groups of there own kind.

Your peacock should be in a peacock tank. If it colors up it is male and easier to ID. If it stays this color it is female and I cant ID a more experience peacock keeper may be able to. It may be Ovatus but given the ID of your other fish I wouldn't trust the ID of the peacock.

They are in a 30g right now I am hoping soon to get a 55g, but it sounds like you are saying that when I do I shouldn't put all of them in there together?

1. Brichardi (Africa Lake Tanganyka)
2. Firemouth (Central American)
3&4. Some Sort of peacock cichlids cant ID until colors come in (african lake Malawi)
5. Female Pink Convict (Central America)

What size tank do you have? Just because they are all cichlids doesn't mean they can go together. All different aggression levels and way of communicating.

Central Americans are my favorite never owned bricardi but have always liked them. They may do ok with the central Americans but do better in groups of there own kind. Your peacock should be in a peacock tank. If it colors up it is male and easier to ID. If it stays this color it is female and I cant ID a more experience peacock keeper may be able to.

Looks like his tank has very heavy cover so I'm going out on a limb and saying this might work.... ??? but the water difference might be another issue not to sure on that

40 gallon planted aquarium
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

I do have a spare 30g tank I could set up to seperate them also in the meantime if I have to

I do have a spare 30g tank I could set up to seperate them also in the meantime if I have to

I think u might be ok for a while. The firemoyth and convict will be the only ones with aggression

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Thank you guys very much for the help in identifying! I guess I have a lot of research ahead of me and possibly more moving of my fish around!

The two african cichlids (1&3, possibly peacock and tang) shouldnt be kept with south/central american cichlid. (Firemouth, and photo#4) The water chemistry is very different. Their diets are different, etc. i dont believe youre supposed to mix peacocks with other africans. They all come from different lakes which differentiate them

They are in a 30g right now I am hoping soon to get a 55g, but it sounds like you are saying that when I do I shouldn't put all of them in there together?

The firmouth and convict should each have a 30g to themselves as adults. 55 would be good. If you stick to fish from one region then it will be easier to pick out future tank mates. I would return the peacock and Bricardi or the fire mouth and convict. Then you can build a beautiful tank around Africans or central americans. your rainbow shark will go with either.

Looks like his tank has very heavy cover so I'm going out on a limb and saying this might work.... ������ but the water difference might be another issue not to sure on that

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

water difference aren't a big deal with captive raised fish only wild caught. They have never seen water from their source of origin. Biggest issue is the way they demonstrate aggression and submission is opposite so one fish may be saying I submit and the other fish is taking it as sign of aggression.

water difference aren't a big deal with captive raised fish only wild caught. They have never seen water from their source of origin. Biggest issue is the way they demonstrate aggression and submission is opposite so one fish may be saying I submit and the other fish is taking it as sign of aggression.

I guess he's just gotta see how it goes. I've had cichlids that are supposed to be evil turn out really compatible and nice ones turn evil!!! So if u have other tanks on standby you could tank any out that show signs of aggression

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

I also had my water tested aweek before getting them and the petco girl said my water was perfect but mentioned something about it being soft (this was before I even knew I'd be getting cichlids so I never questioned it) and I've read cichlids like hard water and to add baking soda to raise the ph, what would you guys recommend I keep my ph at in the meantime? I am going today to buy a test kit to do it myself but I'm worried about raising it too high for my shark

I guess he's just gotta see how it goes. I've had cichlids that are supposed to be evil turn out really compatible and nice ones turn evil!!! So if u have other tanks on standby you could tank any out that show signs of aggression

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

True it could work. Just giving advice on how it generally works. I got into Central Americans by keeping a pair of firemouths in an all peacock tank for a long time. But after the FM had babies they went on a killing rampage.

I also had my water tested aweek before getting them and the petco girl said my water was perfect but mentioned something about it being soft (this was before I even knew I'd be getting cichlids so I never questioned it) and I've read cichlids like hard water and to add baking soda to raise the ph, what would you guys recommend I keep my ph at in the meantime? I am going today to buy a test kit to do it myself but I'm worried about raising it too high for my shark

no don't mess with the Ph especially if you are new at this. fluctuating ph is much more dangerous than stable low ph. chances are if the petco is in your town they are being kept in the same water you are keeping them in.

no don't mess with the Ph especially if you are new at this. fluctuating ph is much more dangerous than stable low ph. chances are if the petco is in your town they are being kept in the same water you are keeping them in.

Fine by me! Haha I was really worried about that! I figured I had being doing good so far and was scared if I tried to "fix" things I'd end up killing everything

True it could work. Just giving advice on how it generally works. I got into Central Americans by keeping a pair of firemouths in an all peacock tank for a long time. But after the FM had babies they went on a killing rampage.

same with my firemouth I had to regime him due to all of a sudden aggression!!

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Back
Top Bottom