Help I'm loosing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irishfishlady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I started my 30 Gal tank with Alge eaters, fancy guppies male and female, Mollies male and female, 1 neon tetra, and 3 zebra danio's. Well after a few mystery fry and 1 Molly giving fry I have lost just about all of my guppies. I have one active female guppie left and 1 male guppie that looks as though he hurt. The others appeared to have been injured as well when they died. What is going on? The fry are in a separate tank and doing well...all 20+ of them. But I am worried about my last 2 guppies. Expecially since 8 of the fry I don't know who the mother was...if they are guppies and the other fish are killing them will they go? Who can be killing the guppies? Until the fry they were all living peacfully together.

What kind of algae eaters?

How long has the tank been set up?

What are the water parameters?

How often do you do water changes and are you treating with dechlor for the amount you took out or for the entire tank, or do you not treat.

My point to these are it might not just be another fish causing the problems. All tho the algae eaters, depending on what kind, might be taking nibbles. But without knowing what going on with the rest of the tank, giving you a definitive answer can't happen. :)

the tank it's self has been set up now for a month. But the fish came from other tanks....I had a few small ones but wanted to combine. Other than the fluctuating nitrite all water levels are ideal. I change the water ora portion of if every week right now because I have been loosing so many. I do treat the water usually just what i put back in but some times I will treat for the whole tank. It all depends on what readings I get.

Ok, so it's only been set up a month. You could very likely be in the tank cycle and that's probably what is killing the fish. You did say you have nitrites.

When you change and treat the water, treat for the tank size, not what you have removed :)

I would say keep doing your changes and the tank will balance out. Once it does, keep an eye on it for any deaths. Then it could be a homicidal molly. ;) Once everything is good, no deaths, water parameters good, then you can slowly restock with you favorites.

also watch the neon... its lonely... neons need to be in groups, 6+ is recommended... If the tank isnt cycled, youre probably going to have to do pwc's daily to keep the ammonia down.

What type of algae eater is it? Some like to suck slime coat off fish and that will kill the fish.

not sure what kind of alge eater it is....they do seem to keep away from the other fish though. I did see that some of the mollies were nipping at my injured one a little bit ago. I had more neons but they all died....this one is hte only one that seems to stay he has been around since we started the small tanks 3 months ago...course he was

Back
Top Bottom