Help is this a parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did large 75% water change. Took me ages. But doze 4 parazin tablets and some melafix. Il just keep an eye on them over the next week. Looking good tho.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You're doing everything you can fit the little guy. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well the moors tail is healing nicely. I can't see any white worms on Ambrosius's (Ryukin) tail now so hopefully they have detached and will be killed by the parazin in the free swimming stage. It stays in the water for 6 weeks. May redose if needed.

Well the moors tail is healing nicely. I can't see any white worms on Ambrosius's (Ryukin) tail now so hopefully they have detached and will be killed by the parazin in the free swimming stage. It stays in the water for 6 weeks. May redose if needed.

That's great to hear!! Please keep us posted on how the little guys are doing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just looked at my Ryukin and she has the same thing again!?? On her tail fins its just affecting same fish in same area her fins. I dosed with parazin p about 2weeks ago. I have another 4 tablets can I doze again. I didn't buy a bottle so no instructions my lfs just gave me tablets cause they were out of bottles on the shelf so gave me 8 tablets for 2 dozes but said one should do the trick. But hasn't worked.

I def think its anchor worm cause last time it left little red sores on her tail. I will redoze now asbi did a large water change today

I thought parazin p was meant to be a powerful one doze treatment. Clearly didn't work so I've dozed again. I can't understand how this got into my tank dont use live plants. No new fish for over a year!! And why its in same area on same fish on her tail. Noone else affected

BTW the moors anal fins healed up lovely

I can't understand how this got into my tank dont use live plants. No new fish for over a year!! And why its in same area on same fish on her tail. Noone else affected

Is another picture possible?
Maybe we didn't see what we were supposed to?
Things in water like dissolved organics can effect different meds in different ways so sometimes the proper dose is not powerful enough if the water has the capacity to degrade the med before it can be effective.

Yeah I'm curious as t what this is and why it hasn't resolved yet....." Get a pic or video of her tail or whatever it is. It may just be normal part of the fish.

I tried to up load a video but its not working.

Its starts of as like a salt grain raised white lump but then i see a white worm coming from it, then a red sore is left behind. Its only on her tail. I have redosed with 4 Parazin P tablets. I'm too scared to take the fish out of the water and try pull them off with tweezers. its funny no other fish has any of these.

Emma il try to send some photos tomorrow

nchor Worm (Lernaea carasii)

Symptoms: Initially it looks like a bony splinter protruding at an angle from the fish’s body.* Over time the irritation causes a bloody red patch that has a small thread protruding from the center. This description is exactly what I am seeing on my Ryukin tail. I used Melafix at the same time as my first doze of Parazin P could this have caused it not to work? Going to give my lfs a ring tomorrow to see what they say.

little update. I rang the Aquatic Centre and they said it was fine to do a second doze but not to do a waterchange for 2weeks if i can. I may have have taken alot of the medication out of the water with the first doze as i do 50% weekly water changes. I stupidly may have even done a 75% waterchange a week after my first doze with parazin p, thinking if i took a large amount of water out i'd take the parasite eggs with it. So i did 2nd doze last Thursday, a water change is due tomorrow. So im going to try to hold off as i can still see the odd worm coming out of her tail. I will keep an eye on water parameters and do a small water change next weds. I really hope this clears up. I do intend to go to the aquatic centre sat morn to pick up some more parazin p tablets. So if need be il do a 50% water change in another weeks time and add what i remove in tablets. So i can hopefully ensure the medication is always in the water to hopefully break the life cycle of the anchor worm.

nchor Worm (Lernaea carasii)

Symptoms: Initially it looks like a bony splinter protruding at an angle from the fish’s body.* Over time the irritation causes a bloody red patch that has a small thread protruding from the center. This description is exactly what I am seeing on my Ryukin tail. I used Melafix at the same time as my first doze of Parazin P could this have caused it not to work? Going to give my lfs a ring tomorrow to see what they say.

I'm not aware of mela and prazi interfering with each other but very little info I know of there. Hard to find info on a med let allow combinations. :(

The aquatic centre said melafix wouldn't have interfered with parazin p. So Its more likely my error of doing too big a water change a week after the meds

Hi an up date, been two weeks since second doze and no sign of this on Ryukin tail. Fingers crossed I have broke parasite cycle. I have done another doze of Parazin p after mons watechange just to be on the safe side.

few weeks later and again I see small white worm off same fishes tail. I'm beginning to suspect this isn't anchor worm. As it doesn't look like this pic at all. Its a solid white worm. That comes out of the fishes tail v short. The worm seems to come from same places on fishes tail which is strange she def has just one or two this time so less than before and I think my black Moor may have one too now.

The worm isnt as long like this, nor does it have an obvious hook at the end.

Attachments

• 1444084964756.jpg
    1444084964756.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom