Help!! Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliejacks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I have a 120gal tank with 2 male Jack dempseys, 1 female Jack Dempsey, a pair of pink convict chichlid, a managuensis cichlid, and 3 plecos. For a few days my large male Jack Dempsey (6inches or so) has been slamming himself around in the tank and hitting things and just got himself stuck upside down in between some rocks. It looks spastic and uncontrollable. Sometimes he wiggles on the sand on his side. He has never acted like this and he's starting to get cuts around his head! When he is not doing this he is hiding which is not normal for him. Him and the JD female who he's had multiple "litters"(?) with have been doing the mating dance for a few weeks now they're not even hanging out in the same area... I just took everything Out of tank to do a good vacuum probably 4 days ago not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also removed an aggressive Kenyi cichlid that was bullying everyone. I have not tested the water yet. Does anyone have advise on why he is doing this?? :fish1::fish1:

Test water ASAP!!!

Problem water parameters will cause a fish to act aggressive, flash and crazy.

All kinds of things could do it. Ich, fish lice, Flukes...

Always check water parameters first!!! Using a liquid test kit is the best choice, and follow testing instructions exactly.

Is the tank cycled? How long have things been running in this tank? Have you rinsed the filter media with plain, not treated tap water or replaced it with new media? Throwing out the old filter media?

I tested the water and everything was almost perfect! Tank has been set up for about 2 years. I change the filter media every couple months with new materials and I do rinse it. He is acting sort of back to normal now...the other Jack is hanging out with him again but he has the cut on his face. I've attached a video to this and maybe you can tell me if it looks like he has external parasite or if it is just wounds from bouncing off of everything. The managuensis also has whiteish marks on his head, not raised at all, and they are fading. The other fish are ok:facepalm:

Are you familiar with how the nitrification cycle works? If you rinse off your filter pads, and or replace them, you are eliminating the beneficial bacteria necessary for the nitrification process to help keep your tank safe!

Learning about that for me made an enormous difference in keeping fish well!!!

How recently did you change filter pads or rinse in the tap water???

It is probable that within the environment of being on guard or being bullied that the stress has made him a little more delicate in being able to handle changes in water parameters.

The best thing for injured fish is the freshest, cleanest water possible (always treated tap water to make it safe for Chlorine, Chloramines and heavy metals any time I say fresh water) with all ultra safe water parameters.

A nice amount of food but not over feed. And possibility they would need to stay separated for awhile or indefinitely.

If you need any info on nitrification and having a cycled tank, there is a link for an article here at Aquarium Advice - Getting Started, in my signature.

Back
Top Bottom