Help me decide - euthanize or not? Sick kuhli loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had two kuhli loaches for about ten days. As of a few days ago, they've started losing their coloring, have pale spots, are acting really weird and one of them has been lying sideways on the gravel for two days now.

I saw what I think was a nitrate spike two days ago (40ppm) and I did three PWC of about 50%. It didn't seem to matter.

All other fish are fine.

What should I do? I've never euthanized a fish before, but watching this loach just lie there, doing nothing... I can't help but think he's suffering. He's breathing OK, just not moving - at all. Been in the same position for over 24 hours now.

I cannot find/see the other one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here's my tank stats:

20G high planted tank.
Dose 1ml flourish comprehensive once a week.
Prime water conditioner.
Fish: seven glowlight tetras, three fancy guppies, two Japan blue guppies, one dwarf gourami, two peacock gudgeons, three nerite snails
6 gallon WC one a week.
One full-spectrum 15W 8000K T8 bulb. on 10 hours a day.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 111
In my mind if you are considering euthanasia, it's probably the right time. Sorry for your fishy. :(

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. I think the best method for me (since I don't have vodka and clove extract) is to do the freezing water thing. I just don't have the gut to do it yet. :( And I can't bear the thought of it not working.

I did find the sick one. He was just covered up by a moss ball.

*sigh*

Yes, then after you put the fish in stick it back in the freezer. They seem to be gone before you can get them to the freezer though.

Back
Top Bottom