Help me identify these catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arbrad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Someone on Craigslist gave me a free 29 gallon tank with two catfish and a pleco, plus a heater, filter, and full light hood. It was an offer I couldn't pass up. However, I'm stuck on the species of the catfish. They don't appear to be Otto cats. They're about 3" long. They both look like this one http://i.imgur.com/sWtOdst.png

Anyone know what I'm dealing with here?

I second that! And great fish by the way! They are my fav

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They get pretty big tho dont they? and need a bit of space? but the should be fine in a 29 gal for a pretty long while.

I'm not sure of the tank size, mine is bigger than a 29g but I believe a 30 is minimal for two (I could be corrected here soon) if I am correct on size I can't see one gallon making a huge difference, so you should be fine :)

I believe they can get about 5-6" each

I'm not sure of the tank size, mine is bigger than a 29g but I believe a 30 is minimal for two (I could be corrected here soon) if I am correct on size I can't see one gallon making a huge difference, so you should be fine :)

I believe they can get about 5-6" each

OOps Im thinkin of an asian catfish that has a name that starts with P. it was something close to pegusus?

OOps Im thinkin of an asian catfish that has a name that starts with P. it was something close to pegusus?

Well these guys give mixed sizes on different sites so I'm not 100% sure....some sites say 5-6" others say up to 12"

well my experience tells me they can get up to 7 in a 40 gal tank, but, every fish is different (seriously, i can have three in the same tank and while one grows to about 7-8 inches, the others will be 5 and 6 inches even though they are all the same age. I even make sure they get the same amount of food and I tried seperating them thinking one was bullying the others but nothing changed).
still the name of that asian cat evades me 0_o i cant remember it to save my life.

I would say genetics plays a role as well as to how big they get....it will
Come to you

I think it is Pangasius that I was thinking of.
Yea, as with most every other fish too haha.

Back
Top Bottom