Help me please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nshepler

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have this HOB filter, and ever since I got it it's made this terrible grinding noise. Does anyone now I quick fix? It's so loud I can hear it from upstairs. It's driving me insane. My other filter that is identical makes no noise at all. Please help me. Thanks guys.

May the force be with you.

When mine makes that noise is the impeller. I have a Marineland Penguin.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yea I mine are marine land penguin also. Is there a way to fix it?

In the past if within a year, We called Marineland to order a new one and they sent us a new one without charge. If over a year, I think you can order one from them or some fishstores have them. Good luck, it's an annoying sound...

You might try to take it out and clean it, although we never had much luck with that.

You'll want to take the filter, carefully.. very carefully..throw it right out the window and get a new one!!!!! Or return it if possible? Otherwise disassemble the thing and get to cleaning and lubing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea I've cleaned it so many times and it gets better but still very annoying. Then after a few days it Returns to it's old annoying self. I guess I'll just have to order a new one. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Would it be possible just to order the impeller? That may solve this noise issue. Cheaper than buying a new filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's definitely the impeller, either is not sitting right or it's broken. I'd definitely check that out before ordering a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea ill check and see what's up with it.

May the force be with you

Sometimes the impeller's magnet wears creating too much space between the motor and impeller and as it spins it bounces around. Could be air in the filter also. I would just take it out clean it and lube it (use the right lube) and try again.

Sometimes the impeller's magnet wears creating too much space between the motor and impeller and as it spins it bounces around. Could be air in the filter also. I would just take it out clean it and lube it (use the right lube) and try again.

And sometimes they forget to put the rubber bushing on the post at the bottom of the impeller or it could have fallen off at some point which would also cause the noise since it wouldn't be seated properly in the filter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it's new I'd call the store and have them replace it. Did you check to be certain something isn't caught in there, like a piece of gravel?

It's not new and yea I've taken it apart and cleaned it out several times.

Back
Top Bottom