Help me put together the perfect luxury home for a Betta.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait, am i missing something here? You need to have some nitrates to have an indication that you're cycled. After all, nitrates are the byproduct of BB converting ammonia and nitrites.

I wish I had higher nitrates to confirm that Ammonia is becoming all the way to Nitrates. But my results (tested, re-tested and double tested) show exactly the same thing: it is not ZERO, but pretty close to it.

Any advice?

I just did a test on a tank I've had set up for a year, I've always had live plants but not heavily planted, nitrates were always ~10, a week ago I added a bunch of micro swords, now my nitrates barely register. Its not unheard of to have minuscule nitrates, you may have to actually add some for your plants. I'd keep testing daily for at least a week to make sure nothing changes & as previously suggested start a weekly water change regimen other than that sit back & ENJOY! Oh, did you ever test your source water? Did it register anything? If so then you know your tank is processing it as it should.

I don't think you're cycled. You're just doing enough PWC's to bring your parameters close to zero. You can either stay the pace, because you'll get there eventually, or use some Tetra Safe Start to expedite the process. Waiting for the betta and your new plants to do it is fine, just monitor for any spikes then do a PWC. Bettas are hardy so they can handle it. You need to let him build up "some" ammonia in the tank as its the prerequisite to healthy BB development.

By the way, my fish is officially named. When you think about a dark fighter with an attitude but a good heart, you have to think about the great warriors of modern time. I was in between a boxer or an MMA fighter, but Anderson (the spider) can lead to think about Anderson Cooper. Because of that, my betta is know officially know as Cassius.

cassius-clay-015b.jpg

Cassius is a good name!

You've been doing pwcs daily right? If you did one today, skip tomorrow and then test on monday to see if there is any ammonia or nitrite.

I will skip the WC on Sunday and come back with the results of my test Monday evening.

Wait, am i missing something here? You need to have some nitrates to have an indication that you're cycled. After all, nitrates are the byproduct of BB converting ammonia and nitrites.

I think.i maybe did.in.beginning like prob around 10 but didn't last long and Ive never had any for long enough !!!!

By the way, my fish is officially named. When you think about a dark fighter with an attitude but a good heart, you have to think about the great warriors of modern time. I was in between a boxer or an MMA fighter, but Anderson (the spider) can lead to think about Anderson Cooper. Because of that, my betta is know officially know as Cassius.

Cassius,good name !!

Thank you. And here a quick reminder of the fish I almost paid 70 dollars compared to Cassius. I believe it was a smart choice. I really like him.

Very smart choice,he is lovely,very attractive fish,i must say I like the halfmoons too as well as the Crowntails,it was between those 2 kinds for me,but went with the Crowntail,love the spiky style finnage,Merlins are quite long finnage,he is so lovely,when I researched Bettas and read about their personality,i was intrigued and they are right,Merlin comes up to me swims around my hand and has even taken food from my hand !!!
He flares at Cory just now and then,he has accepted him now so im pleased :)he is very greedy though and eats sinking wafers,he is like a Dyson Hoover, lol so some people suggested I feed Cory either hidden behind a rock somwhere or feed him in dark.

I will skip the WC on Sunday and come back with the results of my test Monday evening.

Ammonia is somewhere between 0.25 and 0.50.

Nitrite is a perfect ZERO

Nitrates are between 5 and 10 ppm.

I am assuming no water changes required.

Did we make it?

Attachments

• image-2874583345.jpg
    image-2874583345.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 53
Ammonia is somewhere between 0.25 and 0.50.

Nitrite is a perfect ZERO

Nitrates are between 5 and 10 ppm.

I am assuming no water changes required.

Did we make it?

If there is ammonia then the cycle isn't over yet. You want to keep the ammonia .50 or less. It's your judgement call to do a pwc. I would personally hold off til tomorrow and then do a 50% pwc.

O will do a water test tonight. Is it recommended to do the wc even if ammonia goes down?

O will do a water test tonight. Is it recommended to do the wc even if ammonia goes down?

As long as ammonia is .50 or less, nitrites are .50 or less, and nitrates are 20ppm or less, then, in my opinion, there is no need to do a water change. If any of the levels go above what I stated then you should do a water change to get them back down to safe levels.

I would keep doing them until your ammonia is 0 then you can move to doing maintenance weekly water changes to keep nitrates in check (between 5-10 is good) just my opinion tho :)

It seems to me that the only thing that went up is nitrates, but still within the levels of acceptability. I will skip water change today.

Attachments

• image-2392850013.jpg
    image-2392850013.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom