Help me set up my new tank! (Plecos and snails?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EchosOfPlecos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've gotten a new 20 gal. tank!
I think it would be fun for you guys to help design my little ecosystem from the beginning!

My questions:

• What type of small pleco(s) would be a good idea? I'm thinking a clown, maybe?
  • Would a Mystery snail be in danger with a pleco?
  • What types of fish live in peace with plecos?
  • Any ideas on landscaping?

Any other ideas, suggestions, and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

:thanks:

You could do a clown pleco with some sort of amazonian tetras. Some driftwood and maybe beginner plants? The plec needs places of cover to go hang out in. Driftwood would be good for that.
What other types of things have crossed your mind??

I would do either a clown pleco, bristle-nose pleco(my favorite pleco) or a bulldog aka rubber lip pleco
I would do either a school of harlequin rasboras or neon tetras
I would do an apple snail they will be fine
Also depending if it is a 20 normal or 20 long, if it is a 20 long I would do a single ram either Bolivian or German

Thanks!
I've done some more research.

I'll probably be going with a clown pleco, a few neon tetras, a betta, possibly an apple snail, and maybe a couple angelfish in the future. Does this sound like a good plan?

I'll definitely be picking up some driftwood! I might try a live plant, but I'm sure someone (*cough, cough* PLECO) will try eating it, so I'll have to opt for fake plants eventually.

ALSO, I'd absolutely love to add some invertebrate into the mix, but I realize they wouldn't be compatible with this set of fish... or are there any that would be?

:bb:

Aside from the betta it looks like a good setup. The neon tetras tend to be fin nippers and can shred a betta's tail. A pair of angels in a tank that size might end up making a snack out of the neon tetras when they grow up. Also, if you skipped the angel fish you could add some shrimp into the mix for some inverts.

Thanks!
I've done some more research.

I'll probably be going with a clown pleco, a few neon tetras, a betta, possibly an apple snail, and maybe a couple angelfish in the future. Does this sound like a good plan?

I'll definitely be picking up some driftwood! I might try a live plant, but I'm sure someone (*cough, cough* PLECO) will try eating it, so I'll have to opt for fake plants eventually.

ALSO, I'd absolutely love to add some invertebrate into the mix, but I realize they wouldn't be compatible with this set of fish... or are there any that would be?

:bb:

Yay! another pleco fanatic! The clown pleco is a great suggestion, dont worry about putting plants in, clowns dont touch them so you should be fine with a planted tank.

You can also do amano shrimp, they get to a decent size and are peaceful.

Aside from the betta it looks like a good setup. The neon tetras tend to be fin nippers and can shred a betta's tail. A pair of angels in a tank that size might end up making a snack out of the neon tetras when they grow up. Also, if you skipped the angel fish you could add some shrimp into the mix for some inverts.

It seems as if the neon tetras are the source of the problem here... Would you suggest cutting them out? My heart isn't set on the angels, but I'm growing fonder of bettas.

Do you have any ideas on (possibly schooling) fish that might work in this situation? And would shrimp coexist with everyone peacefully? Thanks!

It seems as if the neon tetras are the source of the problem here... Would you suggest cutting them out? My heart isn't set on the angels, but I'm growing fonder of bettas.

Do you have any ideas on (possibly schooling) fish that might work in this situation? And would shrimp coexist with everyone peacefully? Thanks!

Cory cats always work very well with bettas. Harlequin Rasboras should also do well with them. I would definitely stay away from anything with a large tail though. Yes, shrimp should do just great with them. Some bettas will try to eat shrimp occasionally but it shouldn't be an issue if you have enough hiding places.

Keep in mind though; individual bettas have their own personalities. Some might not like any tank mates at all while other will swim around with them.

Yay! another pleco fanatic! The clown pleco is a great suggestion, dont worry about putting plants in, clowns dont touch them so you should be fine with a planted tank.

You can also do amano shrimp, they get to a decent size and are peaceful.

Thank you! Do you have any insight about good plants I could add?

Cory cats always work very well with bettas. Harlequin Rasboras should also do well with them. I would definitely stay away from anything with a large tail though. Yes, shrimp should do just great with them. Some bettas will try to eat shrimp occasionally but it shouldn't be an issue if you have enough hiding places.

Keep in mind though; individual bettas have their own personalities. Some might not like any tank mates at all while other will swim around with them.

Thanks for the information!
Do bettas sometimes assume that fish with large tails are other bettas and get aggressive?
Is there any way to choose a "good" betta or somewhat detect its personality from observing it at the store?

Thanks for the information!
Do bettas sometimes assume that fish with large tails are other bettas and get aggressive?
Is there any way to choose a "good" betta or somewhat detect its personality from observing it at the store?

Yes they do. I've seen it happen more with guppies than any other fish but anything with a flowing tail is a potential issue.

Not that I've seen. Some fish stores will keep their bettas in tanks with other fish and that might show you a bit of their behavior but that is about it. Their demeanor in a store can be radically different than it will be in a home tank due to stress.

Yes they do. I've seen it happen more with guppies than any other fish but anything with a flowing tail is a potential issue.

Not that I've seen. Some fish stores will keep their bettas in tanks with other fish and that might show you a bit of their behavior but that is about it. Their demeanor in a store can be radically different than it will be in a home tank due to stress.

How many Harlequin Rasboras would be advisable?
Do bettas get territorial? If so, would it be a good idea to introduce two bettas (female) to the tank on the same day rather than to have one and add another later on?

How many Harlequin Rasboras would be advisable?
Do bettas get territorial? If so, would it be a good idea to introduce two bettas (female) to the tank on the same day rather than to have one and add another later on?

At the very minimum I would do a group of 4 rasboras.

I don't know whether I would call it territory issues with bettas or just general aggression. Betta males can also be very rough towards females. I would only put them together if you planned on breeding them and even then it has a very specific set of steps to introduce them together to reduce aggression. Even after breeding the female needs to be removed or the male will probably kill her.

At the very minimum I would do a group of 4 rasboras.

I don't know whether I would call it territory issues with bettas or just general aggression. Betta males can also be very rough towards females. I would only put them together if you planned on breeding them and even then it has a very specific set of steps to introduce them together to reduce aggression. Even after breeding the female needs to be removed or the male will probably kill her.

Thanks again for being so helpful.
Would two female bettas get aggressive with each other? I don't plan on breeding, so males are out of the question unless I just have one lone male in the tank and never add more.

So far what I have planned is a group of 5 or so Harlequin Rasboras, a clown pleco, a couple apple snails, a betta (or possibly two females), and possibly some amano shrimp.

I have a thing for pairs, I guess. Would putting two clowns in the tank be okay, or is it advisable to just keep one?

It looks to me like there is a good balance of bottom, middle, and sides. Does anybody think it could get crowded in there with the plants and decor?

So far what I have planned is a group of 5 or so Harlequin Rasboras, a clown pleco, a couple apple snails, a betta (or possibly two females), and possibly some amano shrimp.

I have a thing for pairs, I guess. Would putting two clowns in the tank be okay, or is it advisable to just keep one?

It looks to me like there is a good balance of bottom, middle, and sides. Does anybody think it could get crowded in there with the plants and decor?

One clown is good, and if you're putting more than one betta, you need atleast 5 to even out the aggression. If there are only 2, then one will be the alpha and the other will be the poor omega. You need a bigger group for a better system. Skip decor, just put alot of plants. Atleast they bend, allowing more room while decor is as hard as a rock lol.

Reason for only 2 clowns is they can get aggressive over the wood. Unless you have a breeding group and a good female:male ratio, then I advise against it.

One clown is good, and if you're putting more than one betta, you need atleast 5 to even out the aggression. If there are only 2, then one will be the alpha and the other will be the poor omega. You need a bigger group for a better system. Skip decor, just put alot of plants. Atleast they bend, allowing more room while decor is as hard as a rock lol.

Reason for only 2 clowns is they can get aggressive over the wood. Unless you have a breeding group and a good female:male ratio, then I advise against it.

Ah, it's a sorority thing. Would it be okay to initially get one betta and later on add four more (maybe in a larger tank)? Would the first betta be aggressive? Or vice versa?

About the clowns, what if there is sufficient wood for two or more? I'll only get one clown, one betta. Just curious, haha.

Ah, it's a sorority thing. Would it be okay to initially get one betta and later on add four more (maybe in a larger tank)? Would the first betta be aggressive? Or vice versa?

About the clowns, what if there is sufficient wood for two or more? I'll only get one clown, one betta. Just curious, haha.

I understand... I can't have just one plec lol. Putting more driftwood allows for Just 2 clowns anyway. (theyre territorial against their own) They usually keep to each one of their stumps, but they invade eachothers homes from time to time...

It's better to add the girls all at once, because addin more girls later will confuse them and make the current inhabitants angry because they have to keep adjusting their hierarchy.

Ok so if I'm right this is your current stock?

1 male beta or 4 female betas
? Cory cats
2 apple snails
Amano shrimp( maybe about 10?)
2 clown plecos

Back
Top Bottom