Help me start a new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on where they are coming from. You have had your tank filled and running for approximately a week, right? Air bubbles coming from substrate immediately after you first fill the tank is normal, so is having the walls of your tank completely covered by bubbles. Air bubbles from substrate stop when all the air escapes.
Bubbles caused by water flowing back into the tank from your filter shows a fairly strong current, and can be good (water movement puts oxygen back into the water) or bad (if the current is so strong your fish can't swim easily).
Bubbles coming off the leaves of your plants is also normal and a good sign. It's called "pearling" and means your plants are taking in CO2 and releasing oxygen. They do this when they are growing well, and healthy.

Tanks coming along nicely. And i really dont care that its taking time :)

Ive ordered some anubias, java fern and looking for patches of moss that i can attach to my driftwood.

Decided on fish too! Zebra danios and cory catfish.

My question is can different corys live together? I like panda corys which i saw today but i also like peppered corys. My question is can these 2 different types of corys live together?

Since mosts cories are peaceful, they should theoretically get along with other cories just as well as they get along with each other. However, IF I remember right, panda cories need slightly cooler water than other cories. Zebra danios like cooler water also. When choosing fish, you need to look at ability to get along with other fish, but you also need to look at things like what temperature they prefer, and what kind of water they need (alkaline,acidic). Knowledge Base — Seriously Fish I like this site, they are fairly reliable, but they are revising and updating their fish profiles, so some species have disappeared and others are a little short on information. (The fact they are taking the time to ensure individual profiles are correct just makes me like the site more, that's a LOT of work.)

Thats a great website thanks! Ivebgot a good news and maybe alittle bad. I have a high nitrite reading:D which is the good news. The bad news is my ph is dropping. If i dont do a water change will things hault? Im waiting for my hose to arrive in the post. Whats the next step? Shall i do a small water change or leave it?
Another thing. If i turn the temp of my tank down to clean the outside of my tank will it stall growth?

*update* i did a 20% water change to try and lift the ph. When changing water how long shud i wait for it to dechlorinate? I added the dechlorinator and gave it a stirr and left it afew minutes is this ok?

Im worried im gonna kill my bacteria :(
Even with the water change my nitrite are off the scale.

yes, if you can do small changes that will help your cycle. The reason your pH is dropping is that the bacteria uses trace minerals in your water to help convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. Those same minerals also help keep your pH balanced. Doing a water change introduces more minerals, and keeps the cycle going.
I usually stir my water, and then add it. As long as you aren't pouring the water straight into your filter, your bacteria ought to be safe.
On the bright side, when those nitrites start to drop without a water change(although then it will be nitrates that are sky high) you will know your cycle is getting close to the end.

molliwopp said:
Good luck is what i need, thank you. Never new the extent of keeping fish.. it more of a science really isnt it.
I asked at both my aquirium shop and one said it was illegal and the other said they cant sell it? I dunno soninjust bought the biomature.

Will keep the forum updated regularly.

Biomature is popular over here in UK and yes it does contain ammonia,a lot of experienced Aquarists will.recomend it over here,but i have also read loads of them do use ammonia so i don't know about it being illegal ??

librarygirl said:
Biomature is a new one to me but it seems like it does contain ammonia which is what you want. I didn't know it wasn't legal to purchase ammonia in the UK; I know of people who have used Boots or Homebase ammonia to cycle aquariums. The first link that Bud posted will explain cycling and walk you through the fishless cycle process. Let us know if you have more questions as things progress. Good luck!

Yes its popular with Aquarists ovee here in UK Librarylady,ive seen it recommended loads of times and i gather it does contain ammonia by all accounts but ive also read about loads of people using ammonia so dont know about it being illegal !!!

molliwopp said:
Good luck is what i need, thank you. Never new the extent of keeping fish.. it more of a science really isnt it.
I asked at both my aquirium shop and one said it was illegal and the other said they cant sell it? I dunno soninjust bought the biomature.

Will keep the forum updated regularly.

Good,luck its worth doing a fishless cycle,i found that out hard way as i didn't know any better when i 1st started and wished i had researched water science bit as yes you are right,its more a science to it.mine was cycled in about 4 weeks but thats because i had some seeding from a biorb i had cycled previously,i didn't stick with biorb long,horrendous fish globe yuk,had it about a year and i used some of the ceramic media in my recent one,i used interpet filter start cos ot came with.my 10 gallon,its debated whether this is any good or not but my cycle got done,i wud add a few flakes evry few days for bacteria feeding.
I know you are staring at a fishless tank like for a while but its worth it not to lose any fish :),it gives you chance to sort out your substrate,pebbles,ricks,wood,plants i use real plants,it was kinda like looking at a water garden once i was all done :)let us know how you get on and we all here to help,this forum has helped me out as i think you are always learning something new !!!! Good luck

ownedbycats said:
Since mosts cories are peaceful, they should theoretically get along with other cories just as well as they get along with each other. However, IF I remember right, panda cories need slightly cooler water than other cories. Zebra danios like cooler water also. When choosing fish, you need to look at ability to get along with other fish, but you also need to look at things like what temperature they prefer, and what kind of water they need (alkaline,acidic). Knowledge Base — Seriously Fish I like this site, they are fairly reliable, but they are revising and updating their fish profiles, so some species have disappeared and others are a little short on information. (The fact they are taking the time to ensure individual profiles are correct just makes me like the site more, that's a LOT of work.)

I use this site also,its very good for researching fish you may want :)

molliwopp said:
Thats a great website thanks! Ivebgot a good news and maybe alittle bad. I have a high nitrite reading:D which is the good news. The bad news is my ph is dropping. If i dont do a water change will things hault? Im waiting for my hose to arrive in the post. Whats the next step? Shall i do a small water change or leave it?
Another thing. If i turn the temp of my tank down to clean the outside of my tank will it stall growth?

*update* i did a 20% water change to try and lift the ph. When changing water how long shud i wait for it to dechlorinate? I added the dechlorinator and gave it a stirr and left it afew minutes is this ok?

Im worried im gonna kill my bacteria :(
Even with the water change my nitrite are off the scale.

I dont think.you need to alter the temps if you are cleaning outside your tank,what temp have you.got your tank on,a high temp can help for bacteria colony,think i had mine on 27 c when i waw cycling mine,someone recommended that to me.
So 1st you have high ammonia,then once ammonia starts to drop,nitrite strts to creep up,that can.go up to 4.0 ppm,API liquid tests are the best for testing,as nitrite go up,ammonia comes down,them when nitrites start coming down,nitrates go up.
Ammonia and Nitrites need to be 0ppm as very toxic to fish,Nitrates are less toxic in low numbers,but not let them get too high and thats where your weekly water changes come in,real plants can help keep a low Nitrate as well you want to aim for less than 40 ppm,less than 20pm even better,god hope im making sense its easy in my head bit writing it down ...well lol ;-)

tropicalfishlady said:
I dont think.you need to alter the temps if you are cleaning outside your tank,what temp have you.got your tank on,a high temp can help for bacteria colony,think i had mine on 27 c when i waw cycling mine,someone recommended that to me.
So 1st you have high ammonia,then once ammonia starts to drop,nitrite strts to creep up,that can.go up to 4.0 ppm,API liquid tests are the best for testing,as nitrite go up,ammonia comes down,them when nitrites start coming down,nitrates go up.
Ammonia and Nitrites need to be 0ppm as very toxic to fish,Nitrates are less toxic in low numbers,but not let them get too high and thats where your weekly water changes come in,real plants can help keep a low Nitrate as well you want to aim for less than 40 ppm,less than 20pm even better,god hope im making sense its easy in my head bit writing it down ...well lol ;-)

Water changes 25% will help to raise Ph,as it is a low ph that stalls a cycle as ive just found out from lovely folks on here :)
Its good you managed to get seeding from an established tank :),should help things along nicely,as i sed i had seeding and i used filter start regularly and added a few flake foods ev few days and i was cycled in about 4 weeks.good luck with it but can i just add a word of warning,when its time to add fish don't add too many at once,my tank did fine for ages with half a dozen black neon tetras and a couple of julii cories,i added 3 then 3 then 2 spaced out because the bacteria have to catch up to fish bio-load,ive just learnt the hard way by adding too many endlers and cory habrosus and my cycle crashed into a mini cycle and i lost my.new fish :-(,its took months to re cycle,im not sure as to the safe amounts to add i think it maybe be half then half after a few weeks,maybe someone else might know that so this time im using my 10 gallon to house a Crowntail Betta then maybe later once he has settled and water stays stable,i might add a few cory habrosus,cos them little guys are so cute,thts if my Betta gets on ok with the on Julii i have had 4 two and half years,i know they like to be with other cories,he is only one that survived my 1st lot of fish and i changed species !!!

Right well ill do another water change tomorrow.

Ive been out and bought a single java fern just to see how it gets on with my light and water. Im considering taking my plastic plant out and having only real plants, my java fern has a lead weight on the bottom isnit ok to leave the lead weight on???

I Also think i may need something to put CO2 into the water. Any recomendations?
I forgot my liquid fertilizer so need to get that next. Get payed on thursday so plants plants plants.
What are the chances of my plant getting eaten:(??

molliwopp said:
Anyone want to take a shot at potted vs bunched plants except bunched being alot cheaper?

For CO2 just dose excel or API CO2. I'v just started in to live plants myself. So I'm going to let others field the potted/ bunch question.

I use Excell in my non-CO2 tank. Works fine.

Usually bunch plants are different types of plants from potted. You'll rarely see the same plant sold as both.

Right well i dosed my amonia high and it dropped to 0 in 24hrs. You could see a cloudy film form on the surface of the water which was obviously a bacteria bloom. How often should i now dose amonia to keep the bacteria healthy and how much should i put it. Now when i add it, its converted almost straight away and lowers l the ph quite dramaticly.

molliwopp said:
Right well i dosed my amonia high and it dropped to 0 in 24hrs. You could see a cloudy film form on the surface of the water which was obviously a bacteria bloom. How often should i now dose amonia to keep the bacteria healthy and how much should i put it. Now when i add it, its converted almost straight away and lowers l the ph quite dramaticly.

Im not sure on this one,as i never used ammonia,i had sum seeding from an established tank,filter start tht came with tank and i would add a few pinches of fish flakes every few days and tht worked for me,someone on here.will know and help im sure

Back
Top Bottom