Help My Goldfish w/a Tumour(?!) Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irishgrl1982

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank which houses 2 goldfish I bought from a pet store "feeder goldfish tank" about 15 years ago. They surprised me and grew to large 11inch, Koi like, fish. About 2 years ago, one acquired a small bump on his right gill. I assumed it was bacterial or fungal, concerned it was contagious, so treated the tank with a variety of meds. I used natural cures like Melafix & PimaFix and then moved onto Erythromycin, General Cure, API Fungus Cure, Furan 2, Fin & Body Cure...pretty much everything; of which none worked. I couldn't find answers online(at that point I didn't think it may be a tumor!), my small town doesn't offer a "fish vet", and the bump didn't seem to bother him or grow much, so I continued to manage the tank like normal and keep a close eye on it. **sidebar: I try for water changes every other week(I can't physically do it more often), and use Seachem SAFE, Kent R/O Right, StressZyme+, QuickStart, & Tap Water Conditioner during each change.
Nothing changed much until last week when the bump literally seemed to "explode"/ become giant in size/changed color & is now making him act a bit sick. He still swims, eats, defecates, and doesn't rub or scratch at it. I am VERY UPSET & WORRIED & at a loss as to what to do. I've read some articles about iodine, peroxide treatment or even rubbing Neosporin on it, but am nervous. ANY & ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Attachments

• 20190114-121504.jpg
    20190114-121504.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190114-121937.jpg
    20190114-121937.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20190114_125521.jpg
    20190114_125521.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 93
No treatment known except maybe surgery that I know of (sounds like you have tried everything). Any clue on why it suddenly grew so quick?

It might be worth a shot to remove him from the tank wrapped with a wet cloth and remove the tumor with an x-acto knife. Place him in quarantine and treat the wound as you would a normal wound. I would go to this extreme due to it's size and it's potential to grow into his eye and cause him to be blind.

Back
Top Bottom