Help- Need Advice on bottomfeeder for 10g Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcebergSlim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am new to the hobby and just got a 10g aquarium for my birthday last month. I currently have 2 Dwarf Gourami's and 2 African Dwarf Frogs. I would like some advice on a recommended bottom feeder. I am currently considering either

2 cory cats -I heard these are a schooling fish so I would need at least 2. Not sure if that would be too many for my tank or if they eat algae.

Pleco - I've heard these are great for cleaning the aquarium but I am concerned about whether it would grow too big for a 10g

Algae Eater - Have seen these but don't know much about them.

If anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

no pleco is suited to a 10gallon tank.

cory cats don't eat algae, but the do scavenge food on the bottom for left over food.

for an algae eater, i'd look at otocinclus fish.

Thanks for the advice. I looked into the Otocinclus catfish and read that it is a schooling fish. What would you say would be a better choice? 2 Cory Cats to clean the leftover food from the bottom or 2 Otocinclus Catfish to clean the algae. I'm not sure which is more important.

The otocinclus is defiantly the way to go, they do fine on there own but a pair might be nicer. Most Corys will get to about 4" while Otocinclus only reach 2" and are much better algae eaters.

I have a rubberlip pleco and he is only about 2 inches and doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. This type of pleco might be suitable for a 10 gal.

You could consider buying a dwarf bristle nose pleco. My girlfriend has one in her 55 gallon tank and its only about 2-3 inches long. I don't think they get much bigger than that. Whatever you do don't make the mistake I did when i first bought a tank. I had a 10 gallon tank and bought a regular pleco that was about an inch at the time. Needless to say in a years time he gew to about 6-7 inches and was just huge for the 10 gallon tank. He then was moved to a 29 gallon tank where he was housed for a few weeks, and is now residing in my girlfriends 55 gallon tank where he is currently 8-9 inches. When he gets a little bigger he's going to have to be taken to a lfs that will take him. Hopefully he will end up in a bigger tank that he deserves. Btw, bristlenose plecos are excellent for keeping the tank clear of algae.

I would go with a pair of Otocinclus and a trio of pygmy cory cats....but at that point, your tank will be at its limit for livestock.

What about ghost shrimp as a scavenger? I'm not sure if your fish or frogs would try to eat them but ghost shrimp do a heck of a job on picking up left over food.

I have one of each (1 cory albino and 1 otocinclus), is that bad? They seemed to be doing just fine (before I gave them back to the fishstore until I am done cycling).

Otos will eat algae and probably pellets but not sure if they eat left over flakes.

Back
Top Bottom