HELP!!!! NEED REAL HELP!!!! Guppy help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sholi

Aquarium Advice Activist
My female guppy has been isolating herself for a week hiding in the cave, floating at the top and bottom of the water.

Today i noticed how boxed and black her belly was. I thought she was now pregnant.

I took her out of the cave she was hiding in, put my hand next to her in the tank, and caught her really easily (with a net) knowing fish naturally dash away, is something wrong with her?

All of her fin are working except her left pectoral fin. It seems paralyzed, and that fin stands straight out and is not moving at all.

She is breathing and beating all of her fins (except the one i told u)

She is also not eating the pea i gave her.

She has no signs of infections or anything of the like.

Tank descriptions...
ph=7.6
nitrite=0.1 or so
nitrate, ammonia=0
(master liquid test)

3 female guppy 1 male (1 male-3 weeks ago- and one female-1 week ago- died recently-unknown reasons)

10g

No torned fins

I have no pictures and cannot take pictures.

Is she gonna die?

Try doing a big pwc. It doesn't good, but maybe she will pull through. :)
Your nitrite should be 0, and you should have a few nitrates. Did you cycle the tank before adding the guppies?
She could be a having a complication due to pregnacy as well. Sometimes that happens with females.

its cycled they been living in there for 2 months now. I guess she is cuz i put her in the breeding "thing". Guess i'll have to wait...

its cycled they been living in there for 2 months now. I guess she is cuz i put her in the breeding "thing". Guess i'll have to wait...
The presence of nitrites, but no nitrates does not indicate a cycled tank. Maybe your tank is having a mini-cycle. What cycling method did you use?
How long has she been in the breeding thing? Did you just do that today when you saw she wasn't looking good?

The presence of nitrites, but no nitrates does not indicate a cycled tank. Maybe your tank is having a mini-cycle. What cycling method did you use?
How long has she been in the breeding thing? Did you just do that today when you saw she wasn't looking good?

I really don't know all facts of cycling, i left the cycle take place for 4 weeks, doing what the manual said so. The manual ripped so i threw it away like months ago so i dont know what kind of cycle it is and i dont remember how i did it.

She's been not looking good for a week and today she looked worse.

i just put her in the breeding thing 3 hours ago.

all the nitrite nitrate ammonia was 0 lst week, maybe somehting happened but im pretty sure it'll be back

Nitrates are not supposed to be 0. In a cycled tank, they should be present. In the Freshwater - Getting Started section, there is a sticky about cycling. You should definitely read it to brush up on your cycle knowledge. It will help avoid issues in the future.
Ok, good to know she hasn't been in the breeder box for very long. Staying in there for more than a day or 2 is stressful, so don't leave her in there for too long. But, its fine for now. It sounds like the issue is more likely to be complications from pregnancy. Another option is bloat. Try doing a big pwc and fasting her for a day or 2. Hopefully she pulls through.

Now shes swimming in the breeding diagnolly but NOT sideways. maybe because of the paralyzed fin? is that still part of the pregnancy?

Now shes swimming in the breeding diagnolly but NOT sideways. maybe because of the paralyzed fin? is that still part of the pregnancy?
That is not a normal part of it by any means. But, sometimes, they have complications from it that affect other things. But, I really do not know. Maybe somebody else will chime in with a better idea.
I still think you will need to address the issue of your cycle, but I doubt that is the issue. Did you do a partial water change?

Hm, I'm not sure either. To read up on cycling, there are two links in my signature: new tank with fish and what is cycling. If the tank has been set up with fish for two months though it's probably cycled by now. Although the presence of nitrite is a mystery. Did you change any filter media recently or take anything out of the tank?

If you do regular weekly water changes and the ammonia and nitrite levels have remained 0 and nitrates didn't get up too high then I doubt it's a water quality issue. You do use dechlorinator during water changes, right?

It could be a lot of things, unfortunately. Maybe just watch her and see if she gets worse? I hope someone else can help.

Hm, I'm not sure either. To read up on cycling, there are two links in my signature: new tank with fish and what is cycling. If the tank has been set up with fish for two months though it's probably cycled by now. Although the presence of nitrite is a mystery. Did you change any filter media recently or take anything out of the tank?

If you do regular weekly water changes and the ammonia and nitrite levels have remained 0 and nitrates didn't get up too high then I doubt it's a water quality issue. You do use dechlorinator during water changes, right?

It could be a lot of things, unfortunately. Maybe just watch her and see if she gets worse? I hope someone else can help.
I am aq bit stumped as well. I thought maybe a mimi-cycle was happening for some reason. I agree that water quality is probably not the culprit, but I think issues may arise in the future depending on the reason for the absence of nitrates and the presence of nitrites. Maybe not, but its good to keep a close eye on things just in case.
She might be having a neuroligical issue of some sort. That could account for the stiff fin. But, there isn't anything you can do about that.

nothing taken out and i clean the filter every month. Its the middle of the month so...

I dechlorine it every water change.

I suggest its just some human mistake? though i didnt do anything wrong...

Thanks eveyone....but somehow...i think she is dying....she just got in the breeder a couple hours ago, i think she's dying, i dont see her breathing well...i might suggest its some kind of boredom? well its a guess becaue i have 3 females and 1 male and she must've bored herself to death? cuz she doesnt get much attension...Idkbut i think she really is dead now...Thank you all who helped... :'C

Thanks eveyone....but somehow...i think she is dying....she just got in the breeder a couple hours ago, i think she's dying, i dont see her breathing well...i might suggest its some kind of boredom? well its a guess becaue i have 3 females and 1 male and she must've bored herself to death? cuz she doesnt get much attension...Idkbut i think she really is dead now...Thank you all who helped... :'C
Sorry for your loss. Sometimes, there is just nothing we can do.

Back
Top Bottom