Help! New Black Neon Tetra hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twestacott

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just introduced 6 Black Neon Tetra and 3 Albino Corycats to my cycled aquarium that already included 5 Zebra Danio. 5 of the new tetra and the 3 corycats seem to be doing well but there is 1 danio that is constantly hiding behind a plant. I am not sure if he is sick or stressed or is just not used to his tank and tank mates.

The water parameters all look good (no ammonia or nitrate and a litlle nitrite) and all fish are eating including the one that hides (he comes out to eat and then goes back). The only other symptom he displays is that he will occasionally be floating in his hiding spot on an angle instead of sitting straight (like he is laying sideways). At other times he sits straight and when he swims he looks normal.

Is he sick, stressed or could it just be possible that he is just intimidated by the larger zebra danio that have been in the tank for a month before these new guys were introduced?

Sorry my mistake. It is one of the Neon Tetra that is hiding. He has only been in the tank for two days.

The fish is probably just getting used to the surroundings.

This is what I figured too but the turning on his side thing concerns me.

Yeah, I think he will pull through just fine. Many of my fish have hid for days, hardly even coming out to eat! He's just a bit stressed, so give him some time...

Ok thanks for the encouragement. I am debating adding a few more of his own kind and bring the school up to 10 or 12. This way the tetra will out number the danio and will hopefully not feel intimidated.

Yeah 4 more would bring the tetra to 10 and they would outnumber the larger danios by double. I will give them a week at least though as we just added the 6 tetra in the tank

Back
Top Bottom