Help on aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StartingInUtah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a couple questions that I am hoping to get help with. I am a planner and am trying to plan out my aquarium but hit a couple snags. Please let me explain and then any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

About two months ago I started adding a clean up crew of a couple different kinds of snails and some hermit crabs. After a couple weeks I went to start adding my fish thinking I would start with a Carpenter's flasher wrasse and a Benggai Cardinal. I ended up not liking the wrasse at all and ended up with the cardinal and a striped fang blenny instead. They are doing really well so far. I now want to add a royal gramma, an ocellaris clownfish, a longnose hawkfish, a one spot foxface, a coral beauty angelfish and a kole yellow eye tang one at a time in that order (except the angel and tang at the same time). I really want a wrasse of some sort too but I am not sure what kind to get as I am told that the six-line wrasse is a menace and will torment and maybe even kill the other fish. Can anyone give any advice on a good wrasse to add and when to add them that will be reef safe? Also, my water is testing out good right now so I think I will add another fish this weekend. Does it matter what order I add the royal gramma, clownfish or hawkfish?

Second, I was also given some sort of polyp from a friend of mine so my idea of starting with a FOWLR setup and moving to a reef aquarium has now changed and the problem is that I don't know how to take care of these polyps or even what kind I have. Can anyone tell me how to take care of these as I am worried that I am not doing it right and I don't want to cause any problems for them or my tank? I am attaching a picture of them here but it is not a good picture as I couldn't see the middle (it is all light green) and it was with my cell phone.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Attachments

• CAM00256[1].jpg
    CAM00256[1].jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 107
Can you supply a few more details on your system? Volume, lighting, etc.

Nothing wrong with that stocking list in my view as long as the tank is big enough for the Kole and the foxface. Just don't get in a hurry.

No need to worry about me adding things too quickly in my aquarium. I added a clean up crew about two months ago, two fish about a month and a half ago, the coral a couple weeks ago and am now looking to add one more fish. The next one will probably be in another 3-4 weeks again assuming all the water parameters are okay and everyone seems to be doing well. I don't know what you mean about volume but it is a 75 gallon tank and has a Haldol light. I have been told by a lot of different people that because the kole is a smaller tang and the foxface is a smaller foxface they will be fine in there together. Not sure what else you need to know. Any advice on a wrasse? Is a Christmas wrasse or Hoeven's wrasse reef safe? If the six-line is introduced as one of the last fish will it still be a menace? I am reading conflicting things on those things.

Thanks for your help.

Ya my 6 line was added last and now he won't let any new fish in. I added a purple dottyback and he went after it right away. If you're adding one I'd do it last. I loved my fairy wrasse, they're beautiful and peacefull but he jumped, make sure you have a top. From your list I'd add the foxface or tang first...

I think Mystery Wrasses are cool. A Christmas wrasse would work. Pygmy wrasses are cool too. What did you not like about the Flasher you had?

I think six-lines are hit and miss. I've heard such a variety of experiences that I tend to just stay away, as with my luck, I'd get a nasty one .

I've never had any trouble out of 6 line wrasses, but there are so many fairy wrasses that are more attractive IMO. I currently have a melanurus wrasse. It's been a social fish so far. It is eating every pod it can though, and it's always eyeballing my only acro crab, but never touches coral.
Anyhow....any one of these should work-
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1378

As for the polyps, they don't need much in the way of care. Your HALIDE fixture should be plenty for them.

Last edited:
The Kole is a good tang choice for your aquarium, they don't get huge. I have several canary, 6 line and a big mellinaurus (sp) and they all get along fine. But they are crazy efficient pod eaters, which should be considered if you want mandarins.

I have had great luck with leopard wrasses, never had any problem between them and other fish, corals, or inverts... One I had years ago was always, without fail, out at eight in the morning, and gone from sight at six in the evening.. You could have set a watch by him.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you all for all of your posts. Let me take them one by one.

First, I never got a flasher wrasse. I loved everything I read about them and what I saw about them but when I went to get it it just was not what I was looking for so I didn't get it.

Sorry for putting haldol, it has been a long day. I know it is halide. Thank you for the correction.

I also do know that the water parameters are different for the FOWLR than the reef. I am good in that area. Thank you for the warning and concern. That is the type of stuff I need to hear as I had no idea before a few months ago that those things were that important.

Thank you again for all of your help. Keep the advice coming please

Sorry for putting haldol, it has been a long day. I know it is halide. Thank you for the correction.

Lmao, haldol.. Very long day lol

I have had great luck with leopard wrasses, never had any problem between them and other fish, corals, or inverts... One I had years ago was always, without fail, out at eight in the morning, and gone from sight at six in the evening.. You could have set a watch by him.

I got one a while back and mine is the same way. Almost like his work hours and when he's off work, he's buried. I've heard the are difficult, but I have done nothing special for mine. Interesting to watch and pretty too. Mine is female , but males look great as well.

Back
Top Bottom